Author Topic: more steering questions...  (Read 3999 times)

ShanMan

more steering questions...
« on: May 21, 2003, 05:12:28 AM »
OK, I know that because my bike is a dinosaur and has the old telescoping forks, that those of you with the newer inverted forks might not be able to help. That said, I am going to ask anyway...how much (if any) have you guys dropped the front end to quicken the steering? Also, if you have, did you install a steering dampner to compensate for the reduced stability at speed? (Note: I have no desire to install a $500 steering dampner on an '87) TIA.  :)

kxtaz

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 05:55:10 AM »
i lowered my forks before and all it did was to make it easier to bottom the front tire on the fender. also it actually made the front act like a cr with all the headshake it got. who wants to ride a cr when you have kx. my bike is a oldy 89 kx500 but a goody.

ShanMan

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 07:27:49 AM »
hmmmm...first, thanks for the reply.  :D  Second: I think I will leave well enough alone based on that info. I guess I am going to have to learn to steer the bike with the rear wheel, much like we did on road racers. Luckily, KX5 power makes that pretty darn easy I would think.  :lol:  Thanks again!

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 07:38:52 AM »
Well I lowered my front end about 7/8".  I had to shim the handlebar mounts about 3/8" to do it.  I also lowered the rear about 1".  When you lower the front and rear similar amounts there should be no handling problems as the head angle remains the same.

My Sportster race bike was lowered front and rear about 3-4".  At 180 MPH it was rock solid.  

YMMV, of course.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

woodsy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 07:14:00 PM »
HI Shanman:
I was the one asking questions about this same principle not long ago.  I took another writers advice and lowered my forks.  My bike was feeling very lathargic (like a school bus in the woods) on cornering/problem with oversteering!  I found out by trial and error that about 1/2" of rise above the top clamp with my forks produced very nice results!  I now have well over 750 miles on this setup and I can say it has shown NO want to wobble (headshake) at top speed over rough terrain with NO damper!!  I am running 29 1/2" bars, 10 pounds of air in the front tire (Dunlop 752), fork comp at 10 clicks and rebound at 12.  I weigh 224 geared up.
My nephew has a KDX200 with telescoping forks and we have found out that the SAME rules apply with it as did my KX!  
If I were you, I would follow the same advice that "Rick" gave me.  Do the changes in small increments and ride the same "test" area after you make the changes.  I did and I was amazed at the difference raising the forks made - I AM HAVING A BLAST ON MY BIKE NOW!!!!  This thing is so much fun!!!
Hope this all helps!
Woodsy

Rick

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 04:52:35 AM »
Woodsy is right, the same principle applies to both the old and new forks.  As a note, I don't run a lot of drop for most high speed Hare & Hound events, but run at least some to help the steering.  However, when I travel to a National H&H in Southern California, the forks go level with the top tripple clamps because of the extremely high speeds on the dry lake beds.  For tighter woods riding like the two day event I will race this weekend, I will drop the fork 1/2 inch.  Since there will not be any high speed sections, head shake will not be a problem.

Finally, you will not see as great an impact at slow speed as you will at high speed.  Here's a test.  Find a sweeping corner with a decent trail type berm that you are comfortable riding in mid second gear, and practice the corner with your forks in their current position.  Your not looking for a corner where you slam the berm and make a 90 degree angle, but rather one that will allow you to drive around the corner.  Now adjust your forks about 1/4 inch higher in the clamp, and ride the corner at least 15 times.  Keep your feet on the pegs (I never drop my inside leg like you see in MX racing, as roots, rocks, stumps, etc. will send you to the Ortho doc for ACL/MCL repair when you hook one of these obstacles), and let the front end drift into the berm.  Next, click up one gear, and practice the same corner another 10 times, trying to go faster each time.  Remember, keep your feet on the pegs, and let your body slide forward on the seat.  Once your comfortable with the new setting, add another 1/8 inch and repeat the process.  I am confident you will find that you will be able to increase your speed through the corner by just raising your forks in the clamps.  

Give it a try.  I think you will be surprised.

Rick

The tough part is getting past the mental side of letting your front wheel drift into the berm.  Your not trying to slam the berm, just drift into the berm.

ShanMan

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 05:10:09 AM »
OK then....I am convinced (again  :wink: ) and will do that once I am trail-worthy again. As always, I really appreciate the feedback...and the expert advice. Thanks!  :D