Author Topic: *@#$%&* kick start lever bustage!  (Read 8615 times)

2001KX5

*@#$%&* kick start lever bustage!
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:46:46 AM »
Well I should of known this day would come I guess.  Now my lever never busted in the area of the pivot joint but rather where it makes contact to the hardend steel pivot component.  I guess it has gotten sloppier over time making them slightly off from their normal contact place which was enough for the hardend steel part to eat through the alum. kicker.

I'm going to get the alum built up on the busted one and make some kind of hardend steel insert to go in there just so I have a spare one.

Anyway the busted kicker being off its normal 90% point is the reason why it also ate through my boots! Oh well, at least I'll have a new one in a few days.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: *@#$%&* kick start lever bustage!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:22:59 AM »
When you order the new one order one for an 04 model it has been made better than the older ones. Mine 04 kick starter has been on my 87 for amost 2 years now with no prblems. I broke two of the older units.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:53:23 AM »
When you order the new one order one for an 04 model it has been made better than the older ones. Mine 04 kick starter has been on my 87 for amost 2 years now with no prblems. I broke two of the older units.
So when was the last change in the lever, What year? I need to know so I can order 1 for my 94 an ? 1 for my 01!

Alan :|
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Arigato

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 03:10:16 AM »
Just order one for an '04 to be sure.  There is definately a difference.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 03:18:07 AM »
Even the '04 is a piece. He is talking about the actual "thick" aluminum not breaking but wearing. I have used 3 since racing my KX. I still have all three. Not broken, but worn to the point of over rotating so you can't kick the d**n thing. I just weld it back up and use it one more time. (all the weld will hold is a few kicks)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 07:15:50 AM »
Mine started to over rotate but I found out why. Look at the stop on the kicker itself. There is a steel pin that is pressed in it. This pin was designed to make contact with the stop on the steel knuckle when the kicker is pulled out(ready to start engine mode). The stop on the knuckle just make contact with only half of the steel pin and then it starts to beat into the alumn kicker. I had some work done to may 04 kicker. I had the stop on the knuckle extended so it make more contact with the kicker when it's pulled out. It's hard to explain. My e-mail is not set up at home due to me just moving but a picture would sum up what am trying to say. Also keep that allen bolt tight(the detent screw). mine works loose every ride. Just a little tip for the kicker. I cut a section out of an old tire tube from a kids bike and slide it down over the pivot point of the kicker and safety wire it at the top. It helps keep mud and dust out of the area. I had to remove and clean that after every ride but now it been on their for two rides and zero dirt or mud in that pivot point.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 07:21:12 AM by hughes »
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 01:30:16 AM »
Hey, if you can get any pictures sometime that would be awesome. I get tired of buying new $120+ kick starters.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 02:00:49 AM »
Gowen I will try to get some pictures. I am using my work computer right now. I hope my home computer will back up and running this week then I can download a picture.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

2001KX5

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 12:29:53 PM »
I'm buying the 01 kicker assembly - which is the revised one - for $100 canadian.

Huges I know what your saying. I'm go to work on the old one and weld it back up. Then try to find some sore of metal insert that will hold up.  I could prob bring it to a machine shop and its some thing they could do for $50. But I need a fresh one and perhaps now I'll have a backup.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 10:42:41 PM »
isnt the kickstart lever designed to be softer than the shaft on purpose so it wears out first ?
1990 KX 500

dweezil

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 10:53:38 AM »
Through kawasaki when you try to order the older style lever the part number changes to the new number. I guess they knew the older ones were weak.

I don't remember the levers being that much I'll have to see what I could get them for at work.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 06:49:58 AM »
Thanks to another member he explained it better than I did and this is his picture he took. You need to extend the stop on the steel knuckle to make full contact with that steel pin that is pressed into the alumn. kicker. This mod has been made to the polished kicker. Mine has been mod. for almost two years and work great. Never had any issue with the 04 kicker.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 07:03:38 AM by hughes »
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

2001KX5

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 04:16:55 AM »
Well the new lever I put on last year is toast. Same thing, over rotates past the metal pin.

This evening I'm going to weld up the steel knuckle and see if it will make a difference.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 04:42:34 AM »
Well the new lever I put on last year is toast. Same thing, over rotates past the metal pin.

This evening I'm going to weld up the steel knuckle and see if it will make a difference.

That's the problem with these kick starters is that don't make full contact with the metal pin. Check out the above photo. Mine has the same mod and it is three years old with no issues. Does not over rotate.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 05:36:05 AM »
Hey all...  If you send me just the bottom steel part of your kickstarter I will weld and polish it up for you.  This if for any KX5 member who does not have access or the tools to get it done themselves.  Of course you can PM me for more info like address and minimal cost.  I am the creator of the above photo.

See it in detail here  http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=86

Sly