Author Topic: KX500 Conversion  (Read 4672 times)

reinsport

KX500 Conversion
« on: February 25, 2003, 06:57:41 AM »
I know that Rocket Science Racing (now gone) made a kit to convert the 500 to a KX250 style narrower tank and longer seat.  Is any one still doing this? How does the Zip Ty KX kit compare?  I may start racing motocross again (48 years old) and I would like to ride my '91 500 in the local vintage decade class. Do you guys think this big old long heavy thing (the bike) would work in motocross?

Offline demographic

KX500 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 09:26:27 AM »
Rocket Science racing were selling FRAME kits so the bike ended up having a perimeter style frame that the 250 plastice fit.

The Zip tie kit is just a tank and spannie and has the rad shrouds.

There is a thread posted on this board about the Zip Tie kit and makes an interesting read http://www.pitbull-racing.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19

Offline beastrider500

KX500 Conversion
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 08:45:56 AM »
That sucks about RocketScience going away.  :(  I saw a write up about their frame kit in Dirt Rider Magazine. Looked like a pretty sweet kit. Price was a little high though, around $3000. I was planning on buying one when I win the lottery. Oh Well.

Does anyone know anything about the Suzuki DS80? I may be picking one up for my 10 yr old son this weekend. I know it's the wrong color but it's a great deal for his first bike. Any opinions or experience would be helpful.

beastrider
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'   Homer Simpson

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
KX500 Conversion
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 08:52:56 AM »
My nephews first bike, solid and dependable. Never an ounce of trouble out of it, the only draw back he found was that he outgrew the bike quickly. From there he puchased a KX100, sold that 9 months later and is on an '02 KX250.
Quote from: beastrider500

Does anyone know anything about the Suzuki DS80? I may be picking one up for my 10 yr old son this weekend. I know it's the wrong color but it's a great deal for his first bike. Any opinions or experience would be helpful.

beastrider

He little brother rode it a while and now my daughter is riding it. Good bike.

dhudskx500

Re: KX500 Conversion
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 12:26:13 PM »
i stil race 87kx500 motocross and crosscountry and have no probloms

Rick

Re: KX500 Conversion
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 05:23:31 AM »
I ran the zipty tank for a few years, but after 3 cracked tanks, just gave up.  I was disappointed that with the last crack, the zipty folks would not even call me back.  By the way, cracks were all under tank, so not crash related.  As long as you don't mind buying a new tank each year, no problem.  a
As for MX, I switched to MX from offroad, and just run a stock tank.  Much thinner.

Rick