Author Topic: Caliper Service  (Read 1662 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Caliper Service
« on: May 11, 2006, 03:48:19 AM »
The 89 forks that I bought come with the caliper. My question. Is there anything I need to know far as removing the pistons and cleaning the inside of the caliper? I know on my old bike I have changed the front fluid twice and each time I can see some debri traveling through the clear hose I have attached to the bleed screw. Thought I would clean the brake line/master cylinder and caliper. I have a cylmer manual but just looking for some extra info. Thanks.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: Caliper Service
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 10:04:44 AM »
I just did a little reading  on the caliper and there doesn't seem to be anything special to do. You can blow the piston out with compressor and check for scratches like any other brake cylinder and maybe replace the seals and dust cover if necessary. and refill it with a good D.O.T. 3 fluid.

Alan :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 12:44:56 AM »
Thanks Guy's. I have a spare caliper that I think I will try to service it first.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 11:18:46 AM »
I have both the Kawasaki and the Clymer service manuals. The KX manual assumes you are a trained mechanic and has a little more than exploded views. The pictures are not very good and some not even recognizable. The Clymer seems to assume you are not a factory trained mechanic and has more information. I use and compare both when doing any work on the bike. I snapped some pictures from the KX manual just in case, here they are..........My program won't let me rotate the pictures. Save them to your hard drive and you can rotate and inlarge them as needed.
Danger
Edit:Found out how to rotate pictures.
Edit: Pictures voluntarily removed, possible copyright infringement.
KX 500 Rider