Author Topic: What bars are you using???  (Read 4408 times)

greenmonster

What bars are you using???
« on: January 30, 2003, 02:21:41 PM »
I am looking for a taller set for my bike,I currently have a moose bar just a touch higher than the stock ones.How about some input on a good set that might help the vibes a little and are good quality???thanks Ray

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 02:41:00 PM »
ProTaper KX Hi. The toughest, tallest bar you can stick on there :wink:

sdkx500

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 06:30:01 AM »
Im 6' 4" and I use the prot taper KX HIGH with the barmounts from dh1 racing.  It helped ther ergonomics a ton.  Way easier on the back

Rick

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 03:35:10 AM »
Since I am 6'5", I can relate to the back ache problem caused by the low bars.  Essentially, I tried every bend on the market, and nothing was high enough.  As a result, I went a different direction.  I had a Pro Taper tripple clamp from a CR80, and noticed that the bar mounts were 1 inch higher than any of the pro taper mounts I had for my KX.  Since they CR80 mounts were bolted on, I removed, center drilled and taped a hole that was slighty offset from center, and installed on the KX with the offset forward.  I then installed a set of High bend bars (not sure which bend, as I have a number of pro taper bars laying around, so I just grabbed the highest bend).  The difference is amazing.  With the extra inch, I can now stand straight legged, hang over the front fender, without bending at the waist excessively.  

Another solution I have noticed after my modification is to simply install an aluminum spacer under the existing bar mounts.  You must use the bar mounts that affix with a bolt coming from the bottom of the tripple clamp upward, and simply install a hardened, longer bolt through the rubber mounts.  

As a note, I was a little concerned about the extra height causing a weak point, but have not had any problem, even with a few rough crashes.

Good luck.

Rick