Author Topic: Wheres the best place to test if you have a good spark ?  (Read 5066 times)

Offline kiwikx500

Wheres the best place to test if you have a good spark ?
« on: May 01, 2006, 12:11:49 PM »
Can a good earth be obtained by placing the spark plug on the aluminum head of the 5 hundie,i tried the other day and nothing then wrapped a piece of wire around the plug to the foot peg and nothing to,my bike has been misfiring and pretty sure problem is in the ht cap.Cheers  8-)
1990 KX 500

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Wheres the best place to test if you have a good spark ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 02:46:39 PM »
Do you have a service manual?? There are some test like ohming out the stator,primary,secondary sides of the coil.Have you removed your tank and checked for moisture in the connectors at the coil and at the cdi box? Clean those with contact cleaner. The plug cap screws onto the high tension lead. I found mine to be loose and you just twist it back on. Check for a loose stator plate.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:13:10 PM »
Touching the plug to the head anywhere should be enough ground to give you a respectible spark.  Most dirtbike ignitions put out a healthy spark.  Cam.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 03:30:44 PM »
I do not have a service manual will try and track one down though,cheers guys for your good input and xtra tips,will be able to get it sorted alot eaiser now.Cheers  8-)
1990 KX 500

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 01:55:03 AM »
If you have no spark at all at this time unplug the kill switch.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 03:27:31 AM »
I've had good luck holding the plug to a head bolt. It seems to work. But I always have the plug against the bolt. So I can see the spark jump across the gap. Without a spark plug in it, have somebody pushing on the kickstarter while you hold it to the head.

As Cam said, you should have enough juice (even weak sparks) to see a healthy spark anywhere on the head.

You always have the option to grab the plug while kicking.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 06:34:59 PM »
Is it alright to put the ht lead straight on a head bolt to test for spark as Gowen does with the stock ignition without doing any damage ? (Gowen has a non stock ignition)
Cheers  8-)
1990 KX 500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 02:17:26 AM »
It won't damage you ignition to test without a plug.  As Gowen said, the spark should be strong enough to jump out of the cap to a head bolt. You will also hear it. Best test is to get a friend to hold it then watch him dance......Cam.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 04:16:44 AM »
I just take the spark plug out and stick my little finger in the boot and push the kicker throught with my other hand and if it bites me it's good! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 12:10:26 PM »
Im going to use my :-P for an even more sensitive meter
1990 KX 500

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »
This probably belongs in the general section, but you guys may like this story!

The summer of my 16th year I spent the whole summer in General Motors school in Denver and I had a night job at a service station. I mainly did tune ups and carburetor rebuilds. I worked with this big burly old mechanic and I mean Burly! This guy could grab hold of the spark plugs on a 4 cylinder motor and kill it with out even flinching. His favorite thing to do was to get someone to come and listen to a motor he was working on and he would say " Do You Hear That Miss", "Stick your head down hear and Listen" What you didn't know was he was holding on to one of the plug wires and when you leaned down to listen he would grab you ear with his other hand! He got everyone that came in or started working at the station with the same prank. I can tell you that it hurt like hell and I never got within 10 feet of him again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 02:07:53 PM »
LOL!!!!!!!!!! That is great. I would be a little skiddish too if I were you!

Offline kiwikx500

lolol Nice 1 Alan is that big burly mechanic still alive ?
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 03:56:36 PM »
He sounds like a hard shot - sounds like he would need a power station to get his ticker going again.General motors - got to love the general,my mate has a theory that when it comes to classic cars people tend to go for the ones that they had seen cruising around when they were a kid - holds true for me,if you had not herd before where i live in Christchurch was the base for americans (deep freeze base for Antarctica) for decades and there were lots of 64 - 66 mustangs and 70 - 74 camaros brought over here from the states by american folk staying at the base,thats where i first seen the kind of muscle i like hehe,would anyone know what is the average price for an average example of each in the USA ? I have looked on ebay but prices seem to be all over the place ? Who else is into thier muscle cars etc in here ? Anyone in here been in a Viper,it looks the shiz for low down power ? Paul hows the supercharged Cobra coming along ? Are you drag racing it ? - it looks the Goods! Whats the Cobra actually sitting in ? Cheers  8-)
1990 KX 500

Offline Timbowe

Re: lolol Nice 1 Alan is that big burly mechanic still alive ?
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 07:26:07 PM »
My dentist has just scored a Carbon fibre bodied Viper R/T.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline kiwikx500

Re: lolol Nice 1 Alan is that big burly mechanic still alive ?
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 08:13:02 PM »
Nice! Are you going to line him up on the KX ?  8-)
1990 KX 500