Author Topic: Learn From My Mistake!!  (Read 2927 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Learn From My Mistake!!
« on: January 13, 2006, 11:38:55 AM »
Guy's I spent the week pressing out the bearings in the engine cases. I was using a hydraulic press to remove and install the bearings. Got all the bearings installed accept the crank bearings and seals. Saved those for last. Went to installed the first crank seal using the hydro press and used just alittle to much pressure an pushed the seal through the other side. Busted the lip off thats hold the seal from popping out in the clutch area. Bone Head Mistake. The other seal went in easy using the large socket and tapping it in with the hammer. I think I can fix it with JB Weld. it's a no stress or load area it just keeps the seal in place. Wish me luck.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline machine

Learn From My Mistake!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 04:03:33 AM »
Hughes, do you think you could have it TIG welded???

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Learn From My Mistake!!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 06:34:10 AM »
I used jb weld on it today. The good thing is the lip fits perfecty back where it came from. If you tap it back in with a small hammer it fits so good you need a small pick to remove it. So I put jb weld on it and tapped it back in place and used jb on the outside dia. of it. I think it will hold.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Learn From My Mistake!!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 02:52:45 PM »
The J-B weld is good stuff, but if it doesnt hold, there are many excellant welders and machinists out there. I am very sure someone could fix it.  I would try J-b first , there is almost no stress on the seal. I am guessing engine vibration would be the concern here.   Also you can keep an eye out for a trashed engine to grab a case half .   Is yours a 87 ?
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

FIVE-HUNGE

Learn From My Mistake!!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 01:58:52 AM »
I once saw the cases from a Pro Circut race bike. the lips you are talking about were removed for easy crank seal replacement. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think Kawasaki is the only bike to have these lips for the crank seals.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Learn From My Mistake!!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 04:29:20 AM »
That's a good idea. The outside dia. of the seal is metal and is lightly pressed in so it shouldn't move. You could replace the crank seal without sliping the cases if both of those lips are gone.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: Learn From My Mistake!!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 06:54:13 AM »
Guy's I spent the week pressing out the bearings in the engine cases. I was using a hydraulic press to remove and install the bearings. Got all the bearings installed accept the crank bearings and seals. Saved those for last. Went to installed the first crank seal using the hydro press and used just alittle to much pressure an pushed the seal through the other side. Busted the lip off thats hold the seal from popping out in the clutch area. Bone Head Mistake. The other seal went in easy using the large socket and tapping it in with the hammer. I think I can fix it with JB Weld. it's a no stress or load area it just keeps the seal in place. Wish me luck.

If any of you guys would like a "press-less" method for removing (or installing) any crankcase bearings, heres the magic trick: Place the crankcase half in the freezer over night, now QUICKLY put propane heat around the circumference of case, outside the bearing. Now quickly slam the crankcase half off a wooden workbench. If done correctly the bearings will fall right out of the bores. You can do exactly the same method to install new bearings. Place the bearings in the freezer, heat up the bores, and the bearings will slip right in. (Sorry if this is a repost of someone elses tip). Some techs will place the crankcases in an oven @300F for about an hour, as opposed to heating up each bearing bore
               Rich
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:46:10 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart