Author Topic: 500 HT spark plug cap  (Read 2091 times)

Offline kiwikx500

500 HT spark plug cap
« on: April 26, 2006, 04:57:58 PM »
My one is worn and is not a tight fit around the plug.Can someone please tell me does the NGK cap have a resistor in it ?
My NGK HT cap does not allow me to have the spark plug cap on.
My M8's KX500 allows him to have the spark plug cap on which i think is a far better idea than the HT cap fitting directly onto the thread of the plug like mine does - far more wear pulling it on and off.
What one is standard issue ? The reason i asked wether it has a resistor is i was wanting to use a non resistor HT cap that will take a full capped plug.
If it does have a resistor is that set especially for the 500 and does it go faulty over time.
My bike is misfiring at the mo and the second to last time i took it out discovered the HT cap at the lead end was not fully screwed into the HT lead and the 5 hundie performed great once this was fixed now it is running the same as prior to the fix but this time it is the other end of the cap that fits onto the plug.
1990 KX 500

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: 500 HT spark plug cap
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 01:40:22 AM »
Good post. My 87 plug cap will only fit the plug if I remove the thread on cap from the plug. Mine doesn't fit well. I have tie straped to the cooling nipple on the left side of the head. the tie straps pull down on the plug cap keeping it on the plug. I have seen new plug caps in a catalog I got at home. I'll look into tonight. I am needing a new one myself. I hope some one can post more info.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 01:30:08 PM »
Dennis kirk has them in their catalog. Yes they have 5k or 10 k ohm resistor in them. Go to denniskirk.com come and seach for these parts numbers. Part # 20-787 this is a 90' elbow type for 14mm plug,5k ohm resistor,for terminal nut(this is top of the plug),special water proof cap. Next part # 20-788 same as above but this cap is used without the terminal nut just the threaded stud it self.

Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 07:14:17 PM »
Cheers for your research an sharing,i will check them out,nice to know can still get them,cheers  :-D
1990 KX 500