Author Topic: Let's Talk Suspension Fluids.  (Read 2815 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Let's Talk Suspension Fluids.
« on: April 19, 2006, 04:48:13 AM »
Hey Guy's. I have been trying to get the max out of my old bikes suspension. I have using a standard fork oil(Yamaha fork oil) and using Bel-Ray HV-1 rear shock fluid. I see some these companies make ultra slick fluid or synthetic fluids. My question is how much better are these fluid compared to what I have already using? I know my suspension has some wear internaly that I can't change but just thinking some of these ultra slick fluids could help. Any idea's
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

Re: Let's Talk Suspension Fluids.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:22:07 AM »
Hughes,
  Given the age of your bikes suspention I doubt it would help. Might if you had lots of stiction.  I don't think you can do better than HV-1 and cartidge fork oil.  Cam.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 03:27:52 AM »
Hughes, about the best you can do for that suspension would be new sliders and bushings, seals and dustcaps and fresh fluids. Unfortunately, it still won't be as good as the newer suspension components. I would recommend a good quality synthetic, they have desirable properties beyond reduced friction. They provide better breakdown protection, higher resistance to foaming, and better temperature resistance. Win win all the way around.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 03:38:50 AM »
Thanks. I have replaced the inner and outter bushing in the fork legs and all new seals and dust caps. The rear shock has a new piston bushing and seals. I might just stick with what I'm using. I think if I get a new bike I would run the synthetics.

Anybody seen any results of these fluids in their new bikes suspension??
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 03:41:08 AM »
I ran Maxima Fade Free exclusively in my '01 and it was much better than whatever the bike left the dealership with.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 02:08:35 PM »
I think I have asked this before but here it goes. I went by the dealer this afternoon and he was sold of Bel-Ray but he had Yamaha's fork/shock fluid. The bottle says it's for front and rear suspension. Can one fluid do both forks and shocks??
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 02:57:44 PM »
I make it a point to use the right tool for the job, for me I put fork fluid in the forks and shock fluid in the shock. They have different weights and thermal properties so I'm not sure how you could run the same fluid in both and expect correct performance.

What do i know though, I'm just a soldier :)