Author Topic: Oil coming out of power valve elbow.  (Read 2077 times)

Offline kiwikx500

Oil coming out of power valve elbow.
« on: April 26, 2006, 11:13:37 AM »
I think thats what it is called its the small rectangular box on the motor on the same side as the kick start and has a small black plastic elbow coming out of the bottom of it,and it houses the little pulley wheel that needs to be cleaned at times.
The leak was coming out of the rectangular box at first so i applied some silcone around it now it is getting forced out of the elbow i have placed a cable tie around it but has not worked.
Am planning on placing some silcone at the end of the elbow to stop it from leaking.
But am wondering why the oil is getting forced out of there in the first place when it looks like the elbow just sits unassisted with a clamp etc there from the factory setting.
Could something be blocked ? Cheers  :-o
1990 KX 500

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Oil coming out of power valve elbow.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 11:37:31 AM »
Is it unburned fuel/oil mix? or is it gear box oil? The shaft that drives the rod that pulls the valves open has a oil seal around it(clutch cover) The rod that pulls the valves open has an collar that goes around it with an o-ring. Could have an over rich running condition.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:26:29 PM »
What fuel/oil ratio are you using? Cause the dirty big 5 hundy is SO powerfull, you dont have the throttle open all day. The low revs cause an unburnt fuel/oil mix wich escapes from there or exhaust port. I use a good synthetic based oil that is very clean burning and hardly spooges at all except under continuous low throttle openings.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 04:37:52 PM »
Cheers for the input i think it must be unburnt fuel as Timbowe thinks it could be,i am using castrol fully synthetic, have been running it at 40 to 1 but cause the beast had been sitting for a while i made the factory recomendation of 32 to 1 when i took the beast out yesterday alot of blue smoke was coming out the rear and it was misfiring and farting about.What i think the main problem is teamed up with your input in this post is the ht insulator cap is worn and the spark is weak resulting in alot of unburnt fuel,it didnt want to start very good and when i placed some wire around the top of the plug to make a tighter fit it started alot better but still misfired when riding along.The guy i got the bike off said he had put another needle in it a 6 or 7 needle grrr i prefer standard parts so you know where you are at,the air fuel mixture i have set to one and a half turns out per the factory specs but maybe wrong with the different throttle needle (i think thats the needle the guy that sold me the bike was talking about ?)

I am posting a post with regards to the HT spark plug cap/cover so anyone in here with the know if you would like to post your ideas in that post would be great thanks  :-)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 04:39:41 PM by kiwikx500 »
1990 KX 500