Author Topic: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?  (Read 86881 times)

Offline littlewing78

Re: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »
I use a method that was picked up from this forum that requires fuel on , hook 2nd, and rock backwards then foward a few times to turn the motor over a little. Then get the kickstart lever biting at the very top of its stroke. Boot it like you mean it all the way to the footpeg. Have had great succsess with this method. Very seldom does it require a second atempt.
BINGO! This IS the best/easiest way to do it! I have to kick twice maybe only once in 20 tries and that's due to my being lazy/tired or slipping off.

Works great for me too.  I am going to give the leaning it over method a try.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2011, 03:08:05 AM »
Here's a trick that was posted earlier in this thread that some of you might have missed.

A neat trick to get a KX500 started with WAY less kicks in the colder temps, or when your 5 has not been started in a few months is to lean the bike over hard left until you see some raw fuel exit the carb overflow vent line. Choke on, and the bike should lite off with a few kicks.  This method adds a slight amount of raw fuel into the carb venturi for easier starting.

Rich
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2011, 05:28:51 AM »
I've never had any problems kicking over 500,s.Only bike i ever done 'a routine' with was my cr500,s.The 83 KX500 i have you just switch on the gas,choke on and kick,lights right up every time!Oh,and being 6ft 3 inch tall helps! :-D

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2011, 06:56:06 AM »
All those things but the main thing on a 2stroke is getting the piston just past the compression at top dead then kick it for all you're worth, 4stroke is the opposite bring the piston to just before compression then kick.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »
I have a 99 green machine. I turn the gas on, never use choke, put it right on tdc and hooff that s.o.b and she fires like a ww2 cannon.

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2011, 09:08:33 AM »
I like to pretend I can`t get her goin so my buddy will try it for me.
He`s a 250 rider and I love ta see him struggle
 :evil:
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2011, 02:46:16 AM »
Cheers, Yeah I know what you mean about wearing boots,when i got my bike i took the mrs out to show off to her,i had had it out the day before and it run sweet,but the next day with the mrs it would not fire it did once but i took the joke off to quick,i was determined to get the beast going,i kicked and kicked proberly at least 50 times clad in only some cheap gumboots the raised part of the sole would not stay on the kick start so there was only a very thin layer of rubber between my foot and the kickstart,the day ended with my right foot in the cold river looking over my shoulder at the clean K5 sitting on ther trailer and a very bored looking mrs sitting in the car,lolol  ( pain i will not forget  :cry: )
That's quite a common thing,none of my bikes will kick over with the Mrs watching! :lol:

Offline smithpa68

• Dirt Bike Bucket List
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »
I like to pretend I can`t get her goin so my buddy will try it for me.
He`s a 250 rider and I love ta see him struggle
 :evil:

Hahahaha. classic.  I just did that too.  Funny stuff.
2005 KTM 450EXC
2003 Sherco 290
1979 Yamaha IT400
2001 Kawasaki KX500

http://www.dirtbikebucketlist.com

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
I just get my wife to start it for me. She can do it too!
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline ninja

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »

I'm sure some will cringe at this but......... give her a squirt of starting fluid to at least get it going once.  You can at least make sure it runs.

+ 1  :-o   :evil:

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2013, 01:16:07 AM »
6'5 280lbs.... 3 kick starters later... no technique i just kick really hard  :-D :-D
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline kawboy

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »
6'5 280lbs.... 3 kick starters later... no technique i just kick really hard  :-D :-D

5'9  140lbs.... a half dozen kick levers over 15 or so years...no technique I just kick really hard also  :-D
American by birth,Southern by the grace of God!

Offline Snarf

« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2014, 07:05:17 AM »
You guys realize we're all saying the same thing, right?

Load the carb and bottom end with some fuel, and kick hard from TDC, or just past it.

Rocking back and forth, and leaning over/prime kicks do the exact same thing.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
I just sit on mine and make "vroom vroom" noises til I'm tired. :-P
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Vfr

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »
Just wanted to say that this thread saved my bacon last weekend. New to owning a k5, was nervous going to the dunes not having really riden the bike before. Read this entire thread before leaving and it saved me by the second day. The first day, cold start, followed the procedure, fired up first kick. But new to riding the beast I stalled out a couple times, loading the cyclinder and she played me out good a couple times. Used to wear a Garne trials boot, and actually bruised the bottom of my foot and had to buy new boots at Rexburg Motorsports after day one. By Mid second day I had it figured out. Cold as per procedure. Warm, find TDC, crack throttle and kick like you mean it, starts first or second try. I found it very particular on how you shut down as to how easy to start. Come to stop, rev up and shut er off to clear cylinder, easy to start as per procedure. Stalling out, not so easy to start. Sometimes had to shut off gas and hold throttle wide open and kick hard at tdc a few times to clear up. In that case, usually started 3rd or 4th kick on TDC.

Anyways, thanks for the input, was what I needed to start to get "the knack" of starting the Beast!  :-)