Author Topic: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?  (Read 86882 times)

Offline Billua

Re: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2009, 04:46:48 AM »
To Start mine, Cold: Choke on, 2 twists of throttle, full kick from the top of the stroke, fires right up.

Hot: a little twist of the throttle held while giving it a full kick from the top of the stroke, fires first kick.

In both cases..Did I say kick it from the top of the stroke?

Cheers!
2001 KX-500
Riding the Deserts of Nevada and Cali.

Offline mr.5thou sand

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »
im  with alan turn fuel on then choke, lean her over till fuel pisses out over flow. atand her up click the kick starter till piston top dead center.get the kick starter on the comp stroke and give a solid kick and possibly blip the throttle and thats all she wrote

Offline azracer19

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »
with the bike in 2nd gear roll back and forth , priming the engine, choke first kick start from TDC

Offline gangstershoes

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2009, 03:34:15 AM »
just coming from a noob but this is the best way for me.

First don't skimp on the 2 cycle oil or gas.  Get high quality of both and save yourself and your energy.
Ok the next for me was to lightly push the kick start to get the engine on the compression stroke.  Then allow the kick start to come up 1 click from horizontal.  That seems to allow the kick to spin the motor just enough to fire but still allows me to not feel akward trying to kick it.  Other than that Start with Choke on and I normally tweek the throttle a bit for the first 2 kicks then the 3rd kick normally starts up on cold.  Hot normally starts one kick.
I think that's about it from my experience.

Other tid bits of worthless knowledge that I have found for any motor is to remove the spark plug and torch the end to heat it up.  Then put it back in and violla.  It's starts like it's a hot start.  It's a last ditch effort but wow that has saved me a few times with the snowblower, lawnmower, etc.

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2009, 11:43:50 AM »
I think some of you guys might get a "kick" out of this video, especially the guys stressing to wear proper boots, and not just running shoes  :evil: Nothing but socks!

Offline IceRacer

• If You Dont Crash Your Not Trying Hard Enough
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/10milkshake01?feature=mhw4
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2010, 07:58:25 AM »
I learned a trick from a friend which involves taking 1 of the air tubes and blowing into it. within a couple of kicks it should start
Ride Motorcycles and Go Hunting!

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2010, 09:01:01 AM »
To Start mine, Cold: Choke on, 2 twists of throttle, full kick from the top of the stroke, fires right up.

Hot: a little twist of the throttle held while giving it a full kick from the top of the stroke, fires first kick.

In both cases..Did I say kick it from the top of the stroke?

Cheers!

Not to be a d*ck, but twisting the throttle on a bike that isn't running will do absolutely nothing.  It's a vacuum system and it needs to be running for any fuel to be sucked/pumped into the carburetor.

Just sayin'....
Silly Rabbit, tricks are for hookers.

Offline jdubx03x

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2010, 09:23:12 PM »
I used to lay it on it's side and give a lord loving kick. But, now that I my jetting is on par, it fires up pretty much after one slow kick and one big kick. With the choke of course.

A few slow kicks then a hammer kick seems to fire it everytime for everybody I know. Good luck. If you don't mind a sleeve, check out the ebay company that sells the compression release kit for the big K.

this is always a good way to burn up some grass in your buddys yard and say sorry bout that then make sure your wearing a GOOD BOOT or else you may be replacing your shoes

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
86 says gas on,choke on if weather is cold,off if weather is warm,(cold engine)1 slow kick to prime, then stab at kicker from 1 third down the stroke,not from top,but kick it like you mean it.never fails, instant ring ding ding pop bang. :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline FYRBUG

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2010, 02:36:21 PM »
Cold: Fuel on, choke on, Lean the bike far right for about 3 to 4 seconds but no need for fuel dribble, give her 1 to 3 hard boots and BAM! She's running. Hot: just 1 kick no throttle. I think propper jetting is the key.
I am leaving this world the same way as I came in to it, screaming and covered in somebody else's blood.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

2009 Harley IRON
2007 Harley Road King
2005 ATK450 MX
2003 KX500 Street Legal

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
being the 86 K5 is my first big bore i'm starting it quite well,first gas on pull choke on,give it a couple of slow prime kicks with throttle open then get it on its compression stroke and then one hard fast as possible kick all the way through to the footpeg and usually fires first or second time!!

Offline don46

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2010, 02:15:57 AM »
being the 86 K5 is my first big bore i'm starting it quite well,first gas on pull choke on,give it a couple of slow prime kicks with throttle open then get it on its compression stroke and then one hard fast as possible kick all the way through to the footpeg and usually fires first or second time!!

If your going to give it a couple of "prime kicks" don't open the throttle that will NOT allow the choke to work, the throttle must be closed for the choke to work.

For me, back before the compression release, I would pull the choke, click it in second gear, rock it back and forth, and one swift kick and it was running.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2010, 05:00:07 AM »

[/quote]

Not to be a d*ck, but twisting the throttle on a bike that isn't running will do absolutely nothing.  It's a vacuum system and it needs to be running for any fuel to be sucked/pumped into the carburetor.

Just sayin'....

[/quote]
i call B.S. on that one. i understand what you're thinking though. my bike absolutely will not fire if you don't crack the throttle just a touch

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »
me too maddoggy,  just a touch of throttle.
I think I`m off on the pilot a size. :roll:
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline Kawtoom

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2010, 05:40:59 PM »
I use a method that was picked up from this forum that requires fuel on , hook 2nd, and rock backwards then foward a few times to turn the motor over a little. Then get the kickstart lever biting at the very top of its stroke. Boot it like you mean it all the way to the footpeg. Have had great succsess with this method. Very seldom does it require a second atempt.
BINGO! This IS the best/easiest way to do it! I have to kick twice maybe only once in 20 tries and that's due to my being lazy/tired or slipping off.