Author Topic: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?  (Read 86887 times)

Offline bigborefan

Re: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 08:15:20 AM »
Tuen on the gas a choke it. Put it in first gear. Rock it back and forth, you will feel the piston turning over. Do this for 20-30 seconds. Put it in neutral and give it a stout kick. It will start in one kick.
2006 KTM 300XC
1994 KX 500 x 2
1991 KX 500
1988 KX 250

Texas Champ.

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2008, 12:59:28 AM »
What does rocking the bike back and forth do??...Why not just kick it through slowly about 4 times?? that is what the kickstarter for right?? ....km

ttoks

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
this is how i start mine http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u297/ttoks/?action=view&current=MOV02693.flv

fuel on, no choke hot or cold, get it just before TDC if it's hot, or get it to TDC cold, then literally jump on the starter, works every time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:16:07 PM by ttoks »

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
i kikcked my 5 hunny over in jandals once. and i mean once cut the inside of my ankle from sole to the ankle bone. went to get it  stitched at hospital. the nurse was horified i told her to double stitch it as i was going riding the nest day. she did and i went riding, bloody sore. but hey  a rides a ride.   
d c scrivens

Offline bunk

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 03:46:21 AM »
^^^ which is why i always put at least my right boot on whenever i start it.  Even if im just starting to load it up in the truck, i bruised my foot one to many times.
01' 500

TX-KX 500

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 08:40:55 AM »
The best thing I have found so far to get my 500 started is some race gas.  A friend told me to try it, that I'd love it.  Sure enough.  At least when it's hot it will start on the first kick.  When it's cold,  the only thing I have found is to choke it, and kick the hell out of it. 

Offline holeshot buddy

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 12:39:04 AM »
i have a few 500s and i start them
all the same, cold
slow kick through about 4 times with choke on
kick till it goes hard (top dead centre)
then drop kickstarter about an inch past(it will sort of lock in )
bring kickstart to top no throttle
and kick it like you are gunna steal her :-D
works every time 8-) :wink:
wave to me when i lap you

Offline kxdel

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 12:56:26 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to this site and a new owner of a 1993 KX500 (2 weeks ago).  I have read most of the tips on starting this beast and have tried a few, but she still won't start.  It was sitting for atleast 1 year if not 2 without being started as per the previous owner.  I have taken the carb off, removed jets, cleaned and inspected and all I can get is a pop/bang and a sore foot.  Its has good spark and is getting fuel, possibly too much as the plug appears wet after a few kicks.  The motor is fresh (3-5 rides) and the rest of the bike has been basically rebuilt.  The previous owner bought it, rebuilt it, rode it and got scared, so now I own it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Dan

Offline Albertan

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »
kxdel, if you cleaned all the jets and they are not full of varnish and gum, even an overly rich bike should start.  I'm presuming you mixed a fresh batch of fuel, and there isn't fuel that is months old sitting in the float bowl.  One possibility is that the crankcase is totally loaded up with fuel, and so the bike is essentially flooded.  I'm presuming you checked the choke circuit to make sure it wasn't clogged, and based on your post, I'm guessing it isn't a lack of fuel that is stopping it from starting, it is too much.

If a good kick won't light it, I'd try bump starting it.  Either roll it down a hill in second gear and dump the clutch, or have a few loyal friends push you till it starts.  Then give it some throttle and see if it smokes like crazy for a while and sounds boggy -- that would be consisted with a flooded bike that hasn't burned off the excess fuel.  After that, if you keep fresh gas in it and have a fairly clean plug, it should at least start.

Proper jetting and float bowl height will make things a lot easier after that.  One last thought, did you check the tip on the float needle?  If it is worn, it will let fuel keep dumping into the float bowl and the bike will feel flooded all the time.

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 01:28:58 PM »
I'm sure some will cringe at this but......... give her a squirt of starting fluid to at least get it going once.  You can at least make sure it runs.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline BDI

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »
I have seen rebuilt bikes spin the flywheel on the crank more then once do to the flywheel not being torqued good.You will get a few rides out of it and then the flywheel spins, usually when you are trying to start it for some reason. Just a thought.  Have you checked for compression  :? if a kx500 will not start there is something wrong. I myself am not a fan of bump starting, It should start on its own inside of three kicks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:23:39 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 05:14:39 PM »
 Del,
This may be a longshot, but I have a friend who went through everything on his '99 Kx5 much the same as you are.
  Jetting,float height, spark,kill switch, fuel. and the dern thing would just pop,pop pop...
 He Bought all new ignition parts on e-bay and when he went to replace them he noticed the
 woodruff key on the flywheel broke and every once in a while the bike would fire close enough to pop but wouldn't run. 
Like I said it may be a longshot. 
 A fellow in the 250 threads had a similar problem with his flywheel/magneto going out. He ended up re-building the whole engine,  the only thing left to replace was the flywheel.   Replaced it and she lit right up.   

I'm not for sure this will work, however it may relieve some of the pressure 'till you get the starting issue figured out.
A few of the serious engine guys here came up with a modified bolt for the KIPS Valve.
  Long story short, I'm thinking if you unscrew the KIPS bolt and put a few washers on it it should allow your exhaust valve to over-rotate and "Leak" some compression out the exhaust valve.
    I know what it's like to have 2stroke 500 foot.  I ruined a brand new pair of a-star 6's in two days when I got my CR5.  I probably could have destroyed it in one, but I was too out of shape.
 Best of Luck,
Tuck\o/                 EDIT BDI posted above as I was trying to send my reply..... maybe there's something to it :wink:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:33:06 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline tharden

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2008, 09:13:31 AM »
Checking the flywheel is a good start.  I work on other two cycle engines and the symptoms also sound like low compression or an air leak.  If you can, it is always good to pressure check a two cycle engine.  If you check the compression for a stock kx500, it should be around 164psi; and figure 130-145 for mid-life, and less than 130psi I would freshen the top end back up.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2008, 09:27:09 AM »
Reeds been inspected? Timing mark? Be sure no mouse nest in pipe, wasp nest, anything. Whats the air filter look like? Fresh fuel right? It pours from petcock freely? I like clear fuel lines.
Also try with slide open 1/4 to 1/2 way, maybe all they way open if you think its gettin that much.

Offline kxdel

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2008, 12:05:06 PM »
Yes it has fresh fuel, carb was off tonight and hot tanked, reeds were inspected and it's being kicked like I stole it, but still no start.  I pulled the cover off and inspected the flywheel (it seems tight) but i can't see the timing marks.  Does the flywheel need to come off first?  As for the key, I'm not sure.  I got a hold of a friend of mine about a puller and he has 1 that I can borrow.  It does seem more and more like timing to me so hopefully I can remedy that or rule that out tomorrow.  I haven't looked in the pipe or checked compression as of yet.  Maybe I should just disassemble the whole thing and start all over.  I greatly appreciate all of the input so keep it coming and hopefully someday before the snow flies, I can get a good ride in.  Thanks again, Dan