Author Topic: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?  (Read 88019 times)

Offline stock500

Re: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 09:53:25 AM »
The lean over method works best for my 500 also.  Turn on the gas, choke it, lean it over just long enough for gas to start spilling, stand it up, give a couple of soft kicks, and giver her hell.  That will bring my 04 to life on the 2nd or 3rd kick even on 30 degree mornings.
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

crusty

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
Hold the red button and kick.... and kick.... and kick :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline dans89kx500

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »
The lean over, wait for gas to spill out, hand full of soft kicks (with choke on), then kick with everything you have, works the best.
Daniel in Vacaville
1989 KX500
2000 Husaberg FC501
2009 Husqvarna TC510

crusty

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 04:22:16 PM »
Start with yer hand??? wow time for rings!!!!!

Offline tharden

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 10:10:01 AM »
Wow, by hand?  My start up procedure is to wear boots.  I mean a good pair of boots.  I tried starting it with tennis shoes, and well lets say I did not go riding that morning.

kaos

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 03:22:22 AM »
This method requires a running bike to begin with (!), but assuming that has happened:

- get your jetting close, especially the pilot (the ride around in circles with constant throttle method works well for me).
- once it's warm, set the idle adjust.  No bog when twisting the throttle between thumb and finger, no bounce when it comes back down.
- set the idle speed so it runs smoothly (too low and it'll kind of struggle to stay running).

THen, for cold start:
- no throttle, full choke, 2 easy kicks and then kick it like you mean it once.  Always starts for me - I've made the claim that this always works and now my riding buddies watch to make sure, just waiting for the chance to roost me if it fails.

for warm start:
- no choke, just the slightest 2 stroke throttle blip on the first kick, >90% of the time it will fire.  If not on the first kick, try just a bit more of a blip.  If it hasn't started by the 2nd kick, the idle adjust is off, I usually go an 1/8th turn leaner.

I've had the bike since '94, the first few rides it was a bear to start, but once I dialed in the jetting and the method I've had no problems.  I used to giggle watching the 4stroke guys kicking themselves into oblivion, then kick mine once and roost them.

Every 1000 feet or so of altitude, or if it's a really hot dry day, I'll lean the idle adjust 1/8th turn for the 1st cold start. 

Usually only have to tweak the idle once every few rides, so I have to remember to check how it's running BEFORE shutting down.

Interesting to read all of these different methods.  If somebody smarter than me can come up with the common thread and explain it, that'd be pretty cool.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 05:09:36 AM »
I can start mine with my hand. maybe my heavy flywheel makes it easy to start or maybe your silencer is clogged up.

holy crap, js that must be one heck of a stout hand or else something is wrong with your bike. i know my bike is a little low on compression and is due for a top end but theres no way i would even think of attempting to kick it over with my hand. i'd like to see a video of you starting your 500 with just a hand. i'm not saying that i don't believe you, i just think it would be fun to see.     MADDOGGY

Desert Panther

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2007, 02:35:52 PM »
I can start mine with my hand. maybe my heavy flywheel makes it easy to start or maybe your silencer is clogged up.

holy crap, js that must be one heck of a stout hand or else something is wrong with your bike. i know my bike is a little low on compression and is due for a top end but theres no way i would even think of attempting to kick it over with my hand. i'd like to see a video of you starting your 500 with just a hand. i'm not saying that i don't believe you, i just think it would be fun to see.     MADDOGGY
   Yeah! What he said!   :-o

Offline bobwilson

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2007, 08:03:01 AM »
Just to add my .02...

Just bought a 2002 K5 about three weeks ago and coming from a KDX 200, there is a difference in starting these things.

I've found that putting it in gear and rocking it to cycle the piston 5 - 10 times, full choke, and setting the air screw out 1.5 turns works great.  First time I did that it started on the first kick.

Oh, another essential - MX boots.  I can kick it without fear of breaking things.  I've tried this with both hiking boots (decent) and sneakers (bad, bad idea) and the MX boots are now a necessity when starting.  Just can't give it the kick it deserves without 'em.

Bob

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2007, 06:40:06 AM »
I've found that putting it in gear and rocking it to cycle the piston 5 - 10 times

I believe Andr? Malherbe was doing this with his bike whene he cold started it!

Must be good then!!

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2007, 09:12:37 AM »
why does every forum have a long topic about staring something. its pretty simple it has a kick starter. you kick it. if you don't have enough kick them maybe you need a smaller bike. i have herd it all tilt the bike tell gas comes out crap. find TDC and then kick crap. just kick the darn thing with authority. and remember if you cant start it you cant ride it.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline wilhelm tell

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 03:33:47 PM »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2008, 12:58:36 AM »
why does every forum have a long topic about staring something. its pretty simple it has a kick starter. you kick it. if you don't have enough kick them maybe you need a smaller bike. i have herd it all tilt the bike tell gas comes out crap. find TDC and then kick crap. just kick the darn thing with authority. and remember if you cant start it you cant ride it.

i'll spend 20 seconds prepping and start in 1 or 2 kicks rather than kick and kick and kick and kick and kick, and tire myself out before i even put my helmet on. you go ahead and just kick that thang.  DOG

country73

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »
I cycle the bike through a couple times with  the choke on and then start the bike it starts with one or two kicks. 

deraj

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008, 05:45:18 PM »
Before leaving the garage: gas on exhaust plug out. With left foot on driveway curb (the extra height is nice) find compression stroke kick twice with choke if no start once w/o choke, and a touch of throttle. She?ll be running.