Author Topic: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?  (Read 86604 times)

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
Re: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 07:19:24 AM »
How I start my KX5 (before and after major ported rebuild):

COLD Start: use the choke. Added this following part I forgot at post time: First do about 3-5 slow kick throughs to just rotate the piston through a couple strokes and prime the pump then Slowly push the kickstarter down until the piston passes TDC and releases compression.  Bring the kicker back up and push down one click (nudge).  Then to the top and give a nice even kick (without hitting the footpeg - speed of initial kick is more important than a full stroke in my opinion - hitting the footpeg definately shortens the life of the already week KX5 kickstarter ---->  check out how to make the kickstarter MUCH Stronger  http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2306.0.html

HOT Start:  No choke and sometimes around half/full throttle to release some fumes (too rich) but the exact same kicking method.

Sly
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:44:15 PM by FuriouSly »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 01:06:29 PM »
I've had my 5 for about 3 months, and I have my own personal method of starting dialed in sweet. Cold: pop tranny in second gear, and rock bike back and forth like three times (this easily draws some mixture into the crankcase). If possible I lean my bike against a wall or tree, and bring the piston just a tad BEFORE TDC. I then literally jump on the kickstart. My 5 consistantly lites off with one or two kicks. Hot: open the throttle to 1/4, and again jump on the kick lever, one kick get it going every time. Jetting plays a BIG role in ease (or not) of starting. My 500 when jetted stock, took a lot more kicking to get lit. I run 100% Cam II race fuel, and I am jetted WAY leaner than stock. My 5 runs perfect now. I think a big bonus is running race fuel.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 06:02:21 AM »
If possible I lean my bike against a wall or tree, and bring the piston just a tad BEFORE TDC. I then literally jump on the kickstart.  Polar-Bus

d**n...  I need to get a kickstarter like yours!  Must be a doozie... Sly

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 12:34:11 PM »
If possible I lean my bike against a wall or tree, and bring the piston just a tad BEFORE TDC. I then literally jump on the kickstart.  Polar-Bus

d**n...  I need to get a kickstarter like yours!  Must be a doozie... Sly

I only weigh 155 lbs. Sometimes I jump off the roof of my garage, and if my aim is good I can land in mid air right on the kickstart lever (I just pray I don't get a backfire kickback...... then I get catapoulted through the air like a trapeeze artist! LOL
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 01:34:42 AM »
Yesterday, I sadly removed all my studded tires, swapped my jetting over to spring/fall spec, and swapped back to my MX gearing. I hadn't started my 500 for a month. When my 5 sits for a long time, it taks many kicks to draw in some fuel. I thought I would try the "lean the bike over" method to see if this would work. I leaned my bike over hard, until some fuel spilled out the overflow. I gave the bike 1 easy kick, and on the 2nd full kick the bike lit right off! So this suggestion WORKS awesome!
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »
We can't forget the ONE main factor.......Kick it like you mean it!!!  Cam.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 06:32:14 AM »
All my big bores were the same.  Slow kick it until it's on the compression stroke with the kick starter at the highest position possible and jump on it like you caught it in your house in the middle of the night!  It helps to recite "Who's your daddy" while repeating the process. :lol:

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 09:47:57 AM »
 I don't know the best way probably, but I usually kick it through about 10 times with the gas and choke on, with no throttle. I don't kick real hard until I'm sure it has gas flowing. Also, as with all kick-starting, try to push the kicker around to a compression stroke, then wind it up for a hard kick. If she won't go after a few solid attempts, I may crack the throttle during a kick or two. I always turn the choke off as soon as the bike's idle has a drastic change in its sound and RPM's. Every bike has a "personality" to it. Some bikes start better, if you lean them over until you see gas coming out of the over-flows. The 500 hundred can be a beast, to kick, and can wear-out a lighter rider, so try having a buddy hold the front tire and bars, so you can really get your weight into it.

Offline Albertan

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 01:34:58 PM »
I tend to agree with Alan's method.  For starters, wear boots or you are inviting a trip to hospital and an embarrasing story.  pull the choke, lean the bike over, straighten up, gas should run out the carb overflow hoses, and then SLOWLY ease the kickstarter past top dead center (the maximum compression -- the kickstarter is hardest to push here).  Let the kickstarter return to the top of its arc, and jump on it full force.  It should fire up in a kick or two if jetting is right.  When its hot, no choke should be needed.

Finally, if you have old gas in the bike, it could be cranky.  My suggestion is to turn of the fuel petcock a minute before you shut the bike down, and then when you reopen the petcock (assuming you poured some fresh premix in to start the next ride), it gets fresh gas in the carb.

chrisorbics

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 12:17:25 PM »
Hi I heard that if you install a stealthy fly wheel weight it will make starting much easier. Does anybody have one of these? I would like to know how much easier it make starting. I was just out ridding today on my 1986 kx500 and man that thing takes some getting used to.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline r1ray

• Dirt Addict
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2007, 12:18:32 AM »
The best way I have found is to first get off bike, then let friend start it for me.lol
Sugnasty

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2007, 04:58:34 AM »
Hi I heard that if you install a stealthy fly wheel weight it will make starting much easier. Does anybody have one of these? I would like to know how much easier it make starting. I was just out ridding today on my 1986 kx500 and man that thing takes some getting used to.

Thanks,
Chris

Proper pilot jet size makes the bike easiest to start. I believe that the flywheel weight is supposed to give you more controllable roll-on power. I don't see how it would be easier to start. It does seem like it would increase the surge that k5's have when youy let off.

Offline adrenalinejunky81

• 60-0 in 10ft
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 08:10:23 AM »
Probably just repeating what others hav put, but Ive found the best improvement on mine after setting the float level. Ive tried starting similar bikes that people cry about being hard to start....and being the bikes fault. Stubborn people...If mine takes more than 2 kicks its because its fallen over, then 3-5.

Cold: Choke on, one slow kick - 1/8 throttle held open, kick from the top fast

Hot: 1/8 throttle and a fast kick from the top

BTW, Im 5'6" and 140

Offline BDI

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 01:15:58 PM »
I like to push start mine In first gear going up hill in the dirt  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 02:00:06 PM »
I like to push start mine In first gear going up hill in the dirt  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Always the kidder.

I second the no sissy kicks!

Fired mine tonight,insane! Sounds pissed off!