Author Topic: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?  (Read 86603 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
Put on a Compression release and relax when starting  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline paiankur

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2014, 01:49:02 PM »
This technique has worked for me like a charm. Even worked when my bike was in storage for two years (no maintenance), started up on the third kick! Gas on, choke on, kicker all the way up, throttle completely closed. Kick down very slowly, at around half way you will feel a "click" for lack of a better term. Once you feel it "click", take the kicker back up all the way and jump on it like you mean it! I have started many big-bore two strokes very successfully with this technique!

Offline b4himdude

• You gotta love to tinker
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »
all i ever do is pill the choke up turn the fuel on ,ir visa versa. normally as long as i get a full from the top (push the kicker until its pressure is tight all the way to the top). then kick like she deserves it. i dont think i even turn the throttle. maybe slightly. once she starts i reach diwn and turn off the choke .then once i can feel the pipe getting warm i start giving her some slow revs. sometimes it makes it easier to have something to lean up against on the left side of the bike so you can really stand into the kick all the way.i hear a lot of comments about how much leg it takes to start a k5 or dont try it with your tennis shoes on. honestly ,the k5 has been the least kick to start bike ive ever owned. if i remove the carb the first start afterward can take maybe three kicks to go. otherwise i cant remember having to kick mire than once to fire.hope this helps
hell ,i,m so broke . if it cost a nickle to take a s**t, id have to puke.....

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »
can anyone explain to me WHY this is working? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FamfgXMW9Mc
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »
just a different way of priming it....a little outa the way(longer), I'll stick with my three 1/4 kicks, then one full one.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2015, 12:51:04 PM »
they seemed to kick fairly easy for starting them in tennis shoes :roll:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Bsock

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2016, 10:29:52 PM »
I lean my 91' on my hip let fuel flow out of the overflow of the carb, put it in 2nd gear rock it back and fourth a few times, choke it and kick it.  2nd kick everytime  :-D
Brandon

Offline streetsleeper

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2019, 03:50:05 AM »
I found this on a site about a Lambretta with a KX500 engine.

I know what you mean, starting a KX 500 is a real pain in the ass for sure. So I have addressed this by fitting a small manual de-compressor. I won't take all the credit for the idea, I stole the idea from the KX riders forum. They do a little mod where they weld a small boss to the head and drill a 2mm hole into the combustion chamber. The de-compessor is off a large chainsaw. They fit them to large chainsaws to prevent pull cords snapping. You simply push it in and start the engine, when the engine starts the de-compressor snaps shut.

Hi guys, the de-compessor was off E-bay, less than £10 deliverd. It has a M10x 1.0 thread on it which is a standard thread for brake parts like banjos etc. I had a tap anyway. Snapping kickstarts is another reason to fit one. A kickstart for this engine is £90 + vat form Kawasaki.