Maintenance & Technical > KX500 Original

Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?

(1/23) > >>

kiwikx500:
Whats the easiest way you find to start your bike  ? ie couple of kicks first with no choke on with hands on handle bar and not on the throttle then kick over with choke on.
Interested in hearing your methods of starting the beast.Cheers  8-)

alan:
The technique that has work for me for years on all my big bore 2 strokes is, (this is assuming that it is cold) Turn the gas and choke on, next lean the bike over till gas comes out the over flow tube on the carb, then give one slow kick through with no throttle. Then with the kick starter all the way up at the top kick the hell out of it! I have never met a big bore 2 stroke that will start with a wimpy kick. Maybe with the compression release system you could get away with it, but not a KX5. When it is hot I usually just crack the throttle just a touch as I am kicking it. The problem I still have is when it has cooled down for an hour or two and I some times beats me to death before I get it restarted!

Alan :-D

Timbowe:
I use a method that was picked up from this forum that requires fuel on , hook 2nd, and rock backwards then foward a few times to turn the motor over a little. Then get the kickstart lever biting at the very top of its stroke. Boot it like you mean it all the way to the footpeg. Have had great succsess with this method. Very seldom does it require a second atempt.

Spider:
Gas on, choke on, no throttle, three easy kick throughs, then one like you mean it usually does the trick. The guy I bought it from used Timbowe's method while he was off the bike, then put it on the stand and kicked her (he was altitude challenged).

Arnax:
Cold: same as Timbowe, just with choke on from the very start. 1 or 2 kicks max.
Warm: 1 good kick with some throttle is usually enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version