Author Topic: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?  (Read 86605 times)

Offline kiwikx500

Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?
« on: April 26, 2006, 11:03:03 AM »
Whats the easiest way you find to start your bike  ? ie couple of kicks first with no choke on with hands on handle bar and not on the throttle then kick over with choke on.
Interested in hearing your methods of starting the beast.Cheers  8-)
1990 KX 500

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: Whats the best way to start the 5 hundie ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:04:19 PM »
The technique that has work for me for years on all my big bore 2 strokes is, (this is assuming that it is cold) Turn the gas and choke on, next lean the bike over till gas comes out the over flow tube on the carb, then give one slow kick through with no throttle. Then with the kick starter all the way up at the top kick the hell out of it! I have never met a big bore 2 stroke that will start with a wimpy kick. Maybe with the compression release system you could get away with it, but not a KX5. When it is hot I usually just crack the throttle just a touch as I am kicking it. The problem I still have is when it has cooled down for an hour or two and I some times beats me to death before I get it restarted!

Alan :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:18:27 PM »
I use a method that was picked up from this forum that requires fuel on , hook 2nd, and rock backwards then foward a few times to turn the motor over a little. Then get the kickstart lever biting at the very top of its stroke. Boot it like you mean it all the way to the footpeg. Have had great succsess with this method. Very seldom does it require a second atempt.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Spider

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 12:37:05 PM »
Gas on, choke on, no throttle, three easy kick throughs, then one like you mean it usually does the trick. The guy I bought it from used Timbowe's method while he was off the bike, then put it on the stand and kicked her (he was altitude challenged).

Offline Arnax

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 02:16:16 PM »
Cold: same as Timbowe, just with choke on from the very start. 1 or 2 kicks max.
Warm: 1 good kick with some throttle is usually enough.

kix500

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 03:35:47 PM »
turn on fuel and choke kick through bout 6 time slowly, then get it on the compression stroke push the kick start down slow one click or till it just barely comes over the tdc then let it up and one hard stomp works for me every time.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 03:44:26 PM »
Cheers guys alot of food for thought,mine has started well so far but have a problem with my spark plug cap as my other post shows,just posted this post to see if there was a correct way.
Is the rocking backwards and forwards in 2 nd gear alright to do long term ? i do not want to put any unessasary wear on the gearbox especially a cold one ? I have seen my mates 5 hundie gearbox in pieces and there is alot of bits and pieces to it, equating to lots of dollars to spend when it craps it self.

1990 KX 500

kieran

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 08:34:47 PM »
kiwikx500

Food for your thought:
Roadracers bump start their bikes all the time. I know, because I do it too.
It won't damage your gearbox. If it does go, then its because the damage was already there.

Kiwi, hmmm. What end of the isles are you at?

I'm down in the wet south (Dunedin)

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »
Cheers Im in CHCH Timbowie is in Timaru we have pins on the world map,if you place a pin for Dunedin that will be three kiwis all in the south island - Dunedin is such a kool place heaps of charcter i have had many a good night with m8's down in old dunners,we ended up one night in the Dunedin YMCA with three chicks we had dragged out of one of the clubs,it wasn't the best scenery in the YMCA the next mornng lolol,spot ya.
1990 KX 500

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:27:23 AM »
I used to lay it on it's side and give a lord loving kick. But, now that I my jetting is on par, it fires up pretty much after one slow kick and one big kick. With the choke of course.

A few slow kicks then a hammer kick seems to fire it everytime for everybody I know. Good luck. If you don't mind a sleeve, check out the ebay company that sells the compression release kit for the big K.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 07:43:32 PM »
Kieran. How goes it chap? Tim @Timaru here. You got a Kx5? What type of road race bike do you run. I raced here and at Ruapuna for a few years a couple of years back. :mrgreen:
KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 03:46:35 AM »
I use Tim's method too. Cold: Choke on, rock back and forth in 1st 2X, 1 kick start mostly.  Hot: just kick it, 1 kick start mostly.  The big thing is to ALWAYS kick it like you mean it and always wear boots. Why?  I once kicked my 400 Maico with loafers on.  It kicked back right as my foot slipped off, caught me under the ankle bone and gave me a greenstick fracture of the leg bone. Day before a big race! Nice!. :x  Cam.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 04:40:40 AM »
Cheers, Yeah I know what you mean about wearing boots,when i got my bike i took the mrs out to show off to her,i had had it out the day before and it run sweet,but the next day with the mrs it would not fire it did once but i took the joke off to quick,i was determined to get the beast going,i kicked and kicked proberly at least 50 times clad in only some cheap gumboots the raised part of the sole would not stay on the kick start so there was only a very thin layer of rubber between my foot and the kickstart,the day ended with my right foot in the cold river looking over my shoulder at the clean K5 sitting on ther trailer and a very bored looking mrs sitting in the car,lolol  ( pain i will not forget  :cry: )
1990 KX 500

WhisperSupremacy

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 09:28:10 AM »
Like a couple other posts stated, I prefer the method of getting the kick pedal up to the top of the stroke, and then "kicking it like I mean it". Of course, since I weigh about 130 pounds.... :lol: I have to jump a bit by kicking up off the ground or off the footpeg with my left foot, and then pretty much jump on the kickstarter. Works for me in 1 kick when its warm, I recently fired it up after 4-5 months of sitting and it took no more than 3 kicks.
Definately recommend wearing boots. I had my converse all stars on the other day and 1 time was all it took for me to decide to go change footwear.

Still, not as bad to start as my old RM465. That thing would actually kick you back if you weren't careful. Turned the whole side of my calf an ugly bluish purple and gave me a gimp for the next couple days.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 10:07:39 AM »
130 lbs! Thats great power to weight ratio there!!  Welcome to Kx riders BTW. :mrgreen:
KX500