Author Topic: Dry Lube  (Read 2873 times)

mikesmith

Dry Lube
« on: May 14, 2003, 07:05:07 AM »
What do you use for lubing areas like foot peg pivots or kick starters,no seals,lots of dirt gets in there and causes wear.Ive tried graphite and a dry lube by Kent,buy Im not happy with the results.Im thinking of Maxima chain wax,but dont know how well it works.So let me know what works for you that doesnt attract dirt but lubes well,thanks.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Dry Lube
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 08:54:48 AM »
I use the Maxima chain wax on my chain and it works fine, I use it because I hate cleaning up all the funky gunk the rest of the chain lubes throw down on the swingarm. I've used it for a couple years and have yet to have a failure of the chain or the sprockets. For the pegs and the kicker pivot I use Termuline - MILSPEC nasty smelling turqouis colored hi pressure grease that I get from my guard units motorpool. I've also used Molybdenum Disulfide, you can pick that up at any Napa or other automotive parts store and it works well.

Rick

Dry Lube
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 10:39:29 AM »
OK, now don't laugh...

I tried all kinds of different chain lube/wax/sticky stuff, and finally just started using good old fassion WD-40.  I run O-ring chains, and replace the chain and sprockets once each year (remember, we ride at least 500 miles a month, so never wanted to try and go longer than a year).  A couple weeks ago, we wanted to test different gearing on the boy's little 125, but I didn't want to cut his chain just in case he didn't like the new gearing.  I grabbed last years chain from the big 50, and popped off a few links.  To my surprise, there was still grease inside the links I cut.  After that, I stopped worrying about using WD-40, as it must work to run a chain as hard as I do, and still be usable after a year.

On the foot pegs...you guessed it, WD-40.  Here again, I tried lots of different stuff, but nothing really did any better because of the lack of a sealed unit.

Rick

tomasaki

Dry Lube
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 04:24:42 PM »
Rick:  I like the wd40 idea on the pegs and pivots.  I've been brushing on 90w gear lube, same as on my chain.  But it seems to catch alot of dirt.  I think I'll switch to wd40 on the pegs, but stick with 90w on the chain.  I don't like the sticky stuff because it always seems to catch a ton of dirt and you can't clean it off easily.  With 90w on the chain, all I have to do is use a scrub brush and soapy water on the chain when I wash the bike and the chain looks like new!!!

Tom L.