Author Topic: Head gasket ?  (Read 2226 times)

WY5

Head gasket ?
« on: May 10, 2003, 04:05:36 AM »
Anyone running the .2mm head gasket? I have a '03 500 and I live at 5000ft in WY. I was thinking about going to the .2mm gasket to help compensate for the altitude. Also would I have to run race gas with the .2mm, or due to the altitude would premium pump gas still be ok? I thought it might help clean up some of the low speed jetting issues. Thanks in advance .  Ed

vmxguy25

Head gasket ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 09:58:59 AM »
Hey WY5,

First I have to ask you , where are you from in Wyoming?  We might be near enough to go for a ride! :)

Anyway, about the head gasket, my 1990 KX5 had the thin steel shim gasket when I bought the bike.  When I redid the topend shortly thereafter, I went to the standard thickness fiber gasket to make sure there wouldnt be any leakage that older KX5's are somewhat known for.  Afterward, there was no discernable difference in power.  I would have to say that if you want more oomph from the green bike, try increasing the airflow through the motor via a pipe/silencer combo or the V-force reed cage.  I have both on my bike and they do indeed help.  At 5000 ft elevation, my KX5 would run fine on our 85 octane from the pump(with standard head gasket and head milled 0.010") However if you have it jetted perfectly, you may want to run the high octane from the pump for insurance against detonation.

If you want to get in touch to talk about the "Big Green" my E-Mail address is gconner77@yahoo.com

crazyryan

Head gasket ?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 03:50:57 PM »
I run a copper head gasket from cometic.  You can reuse them.  I haven't had any problems either.  I also have 190lbs. of compression.