Author Topic: Brand New '86-'89 KX500 Flywheel weights - $25  (Read 4053 times)

NVR-FNSH

Brand New '86-'89 KX500 Flywheel weights - $25
« on: May 09, 2003, 06:00:58 AM »
I just got off the phone with Steve @ Dr. Dirt (www.rx4mx.com) and he has 2 brand new Steahly flywheel weights for '86-'89 KX500 that he is trying to clear out of inventory.  New price is $99.

I was calling to get some other parts and when I told him they were for my '90 KX500 he asked if I wanted flywheel weight for a good price.  I just bought the one he had for a '90 and thought I'd post the info here for anybody else.  I don't get any benefit other than feeling good about helping a dealer who has treated me very well over the years - only guy I"ll mail order aftermarket stuff thru.

I put this in the 500 forum thinking it would get more visibility.  I apologize if this is should have been in the For Sale forum.

Brian

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2003, 07:58:47 AM »
Shoot no, we'll leave it right here. That 14 extra ounces was some of the best stuff I've done to my 500.

ShanMan

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 08:05:59 AM »
what is the net effect of adding the weight....does it slow the revving down during acceleration to effectively smooth out the "hit"? I suspect that it also makes the bike more tractable at slower speeds by reducing the engine's ability to "brake". Does this sound right?

My '87 has been ported and polished, and has a Gold Series FMF pipe on it. The hit is pretty strong. I am wondering if the Stealthy weight and a carb spacer would make the bike easier/better to ride in all conditions. Any clarification is appreciated.  :D

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 08:42:10 AM »
Two things:

1. NVR-FNSH - and anyone else for that matter - these websites that you do business with and trust not to screw you, should be added to the weblinks section. I believe in rewarding the shops that take care of me by sending more business thier way.

2. ShanMan - What I've noticed with mine is that it will lug WAY down in the RPM's and tractor like an XR650, wheel slip has been reduced in the rear (under comparable throttle loads), the bike gets some - not much - of that fabled "engine braking" the thumpers have, BUT... if you twist that throttle hard she'll still take off like a rocket.
    [/list:u]

And best of all, that extra flywheel weight makes starting even easier.

ShanMan

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 09:28:14 AM »
just to prove the system works...I just bought one of those Stealthy's! Of course, I broke my arm up at Bell Mountain two weeks ago, so it will be a few more weeks before I can verify that this go-fast part alone was the one thing that was keeping me from lapping Destry Abbott!  :lol: So thanks to you Brian for the heads up, and thanks to Paul for a great site!   :D

woodsy

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 12:02:32 PM »
SHOOT!  IF they would fit a 2000 I would grab 1!
Thanks for posting it!
Woodsy