Author Topic: How long last my premix  (Read 3175 times)

crazy500

How long last my premix
« on: March 02, 2006, 10:36:27 AM »

Hi guys I`m from Peru down here in South America . I have my KX500E6 and I love my beast,but sadly these past years I have not been able to ride it as often as you (since Im married). The problem is that when I finish riding it I have sometimes much premix left over.I would like to hear from your experience how much would it last untill I can use it again.Do you think that the premix will degrade over time.How much time? or is it better to get rid of it to prevent engine damage.I use Belray H1R.
Thank guys for your precious information.

Offline KXcam22

Re: How long last my premix
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 01:15:26 PM »
Crazy,
  Welcome! I think you might be the first member from south america.  I have the same issue that you do, sometime I end up keeping my premix for quite a while. What I do which has worked out well, is to add some "fuel stabilizer" in when I make my premix.  It is available at automotive stores.  It makes my premix last about 6 months or more.  Not sure what the longest you can go is but even after a year the fuels smellspretty fresh. Hope this helps. Cam. 

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 03:04:33 PM »
First, welcome to KX Riders. You sir have the distinction of begin the first - hopefully not the last - South American member :)

** on to your question **

Fuel will last a very long time in a metal can (3 - 5 months, no stabilizer). It breaks down very fast in those cool looking plastic ones though, especially if you leave them in the light ;)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 03:54:46 PM »
Welcome to pitbull!! Glad to have a South American here!!!

Also, to answere your question... I've kept mine in my bike in excess of 2-3 months without adding any stabilizer. But usally will feel guilty and add some. Always make sure to shake the tank to mix the fuel up before starting again.

BTW, moving to correct forum so we can get some traffic to your post!!   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 03:57:07 PM by gowen »

crazy500

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 12:49:05 PM »

thank you guys for the nice welcome and for taking the time to answer my question.  Your information has been really helpfull,I`m very glad to have found this site hopefully one day we will ride together,around the world there is nothing like the kx500!!!

Offline grtsctt

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 08:43:35 AM »
Bel Ray says the oil will never degrade in the gas, but the gas itself will.  This goes against the KX manual that says that the lubricity will rapidly decline in pre-mix.
I would like to ask kaw corp. why their manual contradicts what Belray says about 2 stroke pre-mix.
I think the manual just does not want you to use old gas with water in it or unshaken pre-mix????
What I do if I have some as old as yours is add/combine some fresh gas and Bel Ray with the old mixture to freshen it up.
I hear old gas will turn to varnish and gum, but I have never seen it happen, except in the float bowl of an ancient carburator.
Maybe you can ask Kaw as I just asked prinmarily out of curiosity.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 12:20:32 PM »
If you put some gas in a glass jar and let it sit over the winter, it's suprising the sticky residue that is left behind. Depnds on the brand of gas too. Some are far worse than others. Cam.