Author Topic: old slow KX500 guy, site newbie, with a KX85 question  (Read 3691 times)

kaos

old slow KX500 guy, site newbie, with a KX85 question
« on: February 26, 2006, 07:46:34 AM »
Greetings to all.

My bike: '90 KX500, PC pipe, Guts racing tall seat, Precision Concepts fork work, Brett Leef shock work. 

The bike I'd really like to own: a KX500 motor with a 6 speed trans, in a modified KX450F chassis.  Or something really flexible like that.

What I'm currently trying to figure out: how to tame down a KX85 for my son.  It would be his first bike.  He's too big for the DS/JR80s we looked at, and he's adamant that he wants a 2stroke.  (Yeah, that's most probably my fault).  Any advice/experiences would be much appreciated!

Where I ride: 90% southern california desert, 5% amago raceway, 5% cahuilla race track, the occasional trip to Gorman.   

Good recently acquired mental picture: while parked at the top of Sand Dam, watching the Blue Angles fly past, framed between front tire and fender.

that's enough for now, I've got to get back to searching this site.

later.kaos

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: old slow KX500 guy, site newbie, with a KX85 question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 08:17:38 AM »
Welcome!!

For your son: Have you considered a DRZ125? Or one of the CRF230s/150s? 100% less hit. Here is a list of options you could try for your sons KX85:

Flywheel weight
Reed Spacer
Advance the timing (very carefully and with help)
Porting (from a reputable company)

All those are pretty inexpensive. But, I will warn you there is not much you can do to tame that little beast. Be careful if you decide to advance the timing, you can do some serious damage to the engine if you are not careful. Porting will be your best bet, in my oppinion and could be had in the mid hundred$.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 11:28:24 AM »
Welcome to the site.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 02:03:50 PM »
Welcome to the site! How did you find us? " OLD SLOW GUY" how old is that? :lol: I'm old, turning 60 on tuesday! :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm not slow, but I just don't jump much anymore! He He! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again Welcome, we are happy you found us!

Alan :-D :-D :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

kaos

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 04:37:54 PM »
All - thanks for the responses.  Great site, I'm learning a lot.

Gowen - I agree, those are all excellent choices of learner bikes.  But my kid seems to have inherited my need to forge along a path quite separate from the mainstream.  We've talked a lot about it, and he's adamant that he's going to ride a 2 stroke.  I think a lot of it is due to his friends and their KLX110s and CRF150s, and how heavy the bikes feel at low speeds.  And part of it is, I figure by now I should be able to pull this off and build him a ridable bike.

Interesting point about porting, I've been thinking about that.  I realize it's hard to do better than the factories when it comes to porting, but in this case, I actually want to do worse - which doesn't sound all that hard!  If I could get a cylinder cheap, I'd be willing to try to open the ports a half mm or even 1 mm earlier, trying to get a bit more torque at the expense of peak power.  Then after he's gotten a bit of experience, the stock cylinder could go back on.  We may try that, I'm watching Ebay for parts.

re: flywheel weight, I checked the steahly and the sfb sites, they don't make anything for KX85s (or KX500s).  But from looking at their pictures, a flywheel weight seems little more than a stainless steel disc which is easy to mount.  Obviously have to be machined, if it isn't centered that'd lead to a lot of vibration.  But at first glance, it looks doable.  WHat am I missing?

re: reed spacers - is there a source for such?

re: timing - another interesing idea.  have to figure out how to avoid detonation. 

thanks for the tips.

Alan - turning 60 on a KX5 (which is cool) - you win, you got me by about a decade. 

I found the site thru a google search for KX85 flywheel weights, it lead me to an old post.  saw what was happening, figured I better join up and check out the site carefully.

Hughes - thanks, glad to be here.

I better get back to digging thru the old posts.

regards,
kaos

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 10:43:55 AM »
Kaos,
  Welcome to the site. You're not that old compared to some (likely just feel it like me).  A quick easy (and free) way to detune the KX85 could be to close the reed stops a bunch.  On almost any bike, the metal reed stops can be bent in to limit how far the reeds open.  This slows the power delivery and takes away some top end. I have no direct KX85 experience but have done this a few of times to help female riders get used to their 125/250 mx bikes. Also, any type of home built restrictor installed in the silencer end (to reduce the pipe stinger diameter) will help some lots more.  Experiment with some rubber heater hose jammed in the end or a drilled out wooden dowel.  Makes it lots quieter too.  Welcome. Cam.

kaos

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 04:31:02 PM »
Cam - thanks for the tips.  I'd been thinking about installing an extra baffle or 2 in the silencer, then realized it'd be easier to just add a short piece of metal tubing inside of the pipe, at the junction between the pipe and the silencer.  Using different IDs of this tube would yeild more or less restriction.  So it's good to hear that I'm not deluding myself too far.

But the idea about limiting how far the reeds open by modifying the stops - that's a neat way to do it, one I never would've thought of.  Simple, effective - cool.

regarding age: probably my biggest complaint about getting old is not really the number of years, but the number of stupid injuries I've collected along the way to getting here.  I used to hope that someday I'd grow out of dumb moves (or at least run out of them).  Now I'm just hoping I can convince my boy to avoid doing similar stuff.

... but then again, some of my best memories are from those minutes just prior to the ensuing crash!

anyway, thanks to these tips, I'm feeling a lot less hesitant about the KX85.

better go check the cycletrader website!

regards,
tc

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 03:22:43 AM »
Kaos,
  The advantage of the KX85 is that it is light, handles nice and has great suspention.  I went for the xr100 for my son and now find it is slow, heavy and poorly suspended. Cam.