Author Topic: Project 2001 KX 500  (Read 4279 times)

2001KX5

Project 2001 KX 500
« on: February 10, 2006, 11:58:40 PM »
Hey guys I figured I'd take some time and post of the start of project 2001 KX 500.

The bike over all is in very solid condition..........no jinggly or rattly parts which is the case with most used bikes, s**t wears over time.  But this one is solid.  I knew when buying it that it needs a nice bit of money put into it, but my offer/purchase price was totally based on that and I'm content with it ($1850 Canadian). I knew at the end of the day I would be pay the going rate for a bike such as this once its all done, but it will be about 99% brand new. Rather than purchasing one for 4k and having to do the typical chain, sprockets, tires, cables, bars, grips and graphics etc etc on top of that price.  I figure that at or less than 4k I will have an almost new bike that needs nothing but yet runs stronger than a stock 500 (like thats even nessessary lol).

As you can see the piston is f**ked and there is a significant cracking in the cylinder exh ports.  The bike was def. abused the last going off and there are some road rash scars in various areas to prove that.  Its hard to tell what caused it due to the cracking in the exhaust port bridges. It likely ran lean for a long time or was hydrolocked.  There is also a nice crack in the exhaust pipe, looks like it could of been from a nice wipe out though. But for a 2001 there is not a freaking ding in the pipe, literally mint besides for the crack which I'm having welded the weekend and is not a big deal.

Currently my complete top end with exhaust valves and all has been sent to Eric Gorrs shop Forward Motion (www.eric-gorr.com) in IL USA. For those of you who know nothing of Eric Gorr I suggest you do some reading, he is very well respected and known in the industry  ;)  Anyway the plan is to weld the cylinder, bore to 520cc, have it replated by US Chrome, have a "mo better every where" porting done along with all the additional service Eric does at no charge (parts cleaning, piston prep, exhaust valve timing, cyl head resurfacing) and a complete top end kit with gaskets and all.  My porting is being done for sea level with pump gas (oh why can't we get race fuel easier :( ).  If my cylinder can't be repaired Eric will provide me a new oem cylinder at his cost because I'm buying the other parts and his porting services ( if I get a new cylinder I will not have it over bored until it needs to be replated again).

The bottom end is at Brian Hoods shop for a bottom end tear down and inspection so when I bolt on my fresh top end I know I have no other issues.

I'll post up updates as I go along, but right now the frame is dissassembled to get a new pipe mount welded on, sanded and painted.  I have lots of parts to buy,  but I want to get the motor looked after first and put back in the bike and then I'll start buying every thing else.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Project 2001 KX 500
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 06:24:53 AM »
Have Fun. The bike does look to be in real shape to start with. I suspect the piston seizure is what caused the cracking. I wish my bike was that good of shape when I bought my. I have spent two years riding and restoring my bike. P.M Alan and get you a gallery set up and post your project picture in that.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline demographic

Project 2001 KX 500
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 08:52:12 AM »
Dont forget to post pictures of the cylinder after it's been ported, a shot showing the bottom of the cylinder and the transfer ports (which I reckon will be "sharpened" just like Doordie recommends in the topend rebuilding thread) and a shot in from the intake side (as if it were the carbs eye view) showing the same thing on the intake ports.

A portmap would be even better.

To do a portmap read this...
http://macdizzy.com/cyl_primer.htm

Offline Arigato

Project 2001 KX 500
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 01:30:21 PM »
I had a great time rebuilding mine.  Take your time and spare no expense.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Project 2001 KX 500
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 01:45:37 PM »
Quote from: Arigato
I had a great time rebuilding mine.  Take your time and spare no expense.

Your bike is SICK
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Spider

Project 2001 KX 500
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 03:00:40 PM »
My bike wants to be like Arigato's when it grows up. :mrgreen:

Dale

2001KX5

Re: Project 2001 KX 500
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 02:05:07 AM »
Some snaps as she looks now. Just waiting to get my motor back and start assembling and put it in the frame.

Offline Ramski

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 04:19:01 AM »
Good luck on the rebuild.  It's amazing how much you can put into a bike when doing a big rebuild.  It's all the small stuff that kills you.   :|
Danny Lesovsky

jpinhb

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 04:48:43 AM »
Hey kx2001 ,
Can you post some closeup pics of your rear fender . I haven't installed mine yet and wanna see what it looks like up close .
A pic or two of the top and bottom would be greatly appreciated . thanks

2001KX5

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 05:00:10 AM »
The small stuff is what I always dread in a project and its always the last minute small stuff that pops up.  The large stuff is easy to plan for and deal with.

As for my fender I have to say it was pretty much a hack job.  I had a 94-98 250 fender and diden't realize it until it was too late. Its safe to say its nothing like the 92-93 250 fender which is more like the 500 fender. Go on the kawi web site and look at the parts diagrams and you'll see what I'm saying.  So I said F**k it and left it on. Most people won't have a clue. I'll do another with the 92-93 fender the summer.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 08:42:10 AM »
Looks good to me. How did it fit up to the air box? Looks to have a little more space to play with around the rear of the seat. The 2 that i have done have been reasonably tight there. Good job! :mrgreen:
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master