Author Topic: Min/Max Chainwheel size? -  (Read 2586 times)

aaroncosbey

Min/Max Chainwheel size? -
« on: January 30, 2006, 05:05:46 AM »
hi guys, just wondering whats the biggest front and rear chainwheel you can fit on a KX5?

and what top end MPH would it roughly give you?

thanks

:-)

hoopty

RE: Min/Max Chainwheel size? -
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:31:34 AM »
I've seen them as small as 12 (starts to eat the case) and as big as 16 (gets REAL close to the flywheel part of the case). Rears I've seen as small as 38 and as large as 54. Here's a chart of all available KX500 sprockets:

http://www.pitbull-racing.com/gearing.html

Offline demographic

Re: Min/Max Chainwheel size? -
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 05:37:08 AM »
Quote from: aaroncosbey
hi guys, just wondering whats the biggest front and rear chainwheel you can fit on a KX5?

and what top end MPH would it roughly give you?

thanks

:-)

I have a 16 front which is about as big as you can go without removing the casing guard (it has chewed a little bit off the swingarm rubber but after it does it for a few revs it wears a little bit of rubber off it off so theres no more problem) and currently using rear of 47 (standard) which coupled together with 17" rear with an aspect ratio of 70% gives me a top whack of just about 100.

Thats revving it rather more than I care to though.

I have a 42 rear that will fit but took it off ages ago when I did my first rebuild.

Might fit it when I find it as although I don't want the top whack to be any faster (Bit twitchy for me) it would be nice to do about the same without feeling like I am hammering the revs too much.

This is from the downloads section...

http://www.pitbull-racing.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=1 so save as and then if yopu alter the figures in the pink section it gives you an aproximate top speed, bear in mind that it doesn't take drag coeficiency into account though so the really big gears wont work quite as predicted.

Close enough though.

aaroncosbey

RE: Re: Min/Max Chainwheel size? -
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:09:20 AM »
thats great guys....thanks!

I'm being posted pics of a 2000 model KX5 mid week hopefully.

I'll post the pics on a topic and we can discuss = im that bit closer now :-)

Offline demographic

Re: RE: Re: Min/Max Chainwheel size? -
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 11:00:16 AM »
Quote from: aaroncosbey
thats great guys....thanks!

I'm being posted pics of a 2000 model KX5 mid week hopefully.

I'll post the pics on a topic and we can discuss = im that bit closer now :-)

Make completley SURE that it's a 2000 model as I often see motocross bikes being passed off as newer than they really are, nowt wrong with older models as theres very little difference from 90 on but it affects price.
Don't believe the ones on Bikepics for referance either as theres a few of those with the wrong colour forks for their model years and so on.

I might be wrong here but (just from memory) I think that a 2000 model should have 48mm front forks.

If you can get the frame number you should be able to check it out on http://buykawasaki.com/Default.asp? or even phone Kawasaki UK and ask them.

When I wanted a date of manufacture for mine I just sent them a letter and they sent it out to me for nothing.

Honda would charge for that by the way, no joke.

2001KX5

RE: Re: RE: Re: Min/Max Chainwheel size? -
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 01:10:40 AM »
I plan on riding alot of woods trails, some pits and hills. I plan on running a 14f and 51 or 52r on my 01K5.