Author Topic: Installing Crank  (Read 1830 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Installing Crank
« on: January 14, 2006, 11:07:53 AM »
Any tips for installing the crank into the cases. I go the crank in the freezer and was thinking about transfering heat into the bearing. What's ya'll thoughts. Crank bearings are already installed into the cases not on the crank.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
RE: Installing Crank
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 02:57:12 PM »
On my red bike I pressed the bearings on the crank and tapped the crank into the case half with a dead blow plastic hammer. Worked very well, but I am not sure if that was the proper procedure.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 03:57:18 PM »
Hughes,
  Don't heat the bearing. Just having the crank in the freezer should be enough. Usually they slide in quite easily with a few light taps with a plastic hammer.  I've never encountered one that was a press fit.  Normally the effort is to get the bearing into the case. Cam.

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 12:34:58 AM »
freeze bearings and crank.put seals in cases,put bearings in cases,put a little oil on bearings,make sure trans shift thru gears and washers are in place.with everything back to say room temp,take crank out of freezer and slide in.warm left side case while adding sealer to right side and slip into place.button her up while checking crank and sprocket shaft for ease of movement.drop a little oil  onto bottom rod bearing and go to it.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Installing Crank
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 06:34:33 AM »
Thanks for the tips. The crank was in the freezer over nite and it went right in with out any heat on the bearings. Could have not been easier. Thanks.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com