Author Topic: Extended clutch arm - not enough travel  (Read 3888 times)

NVR-FNSH

Extended clutch arm - not enough travel
« on: April 16, 2003, 06:27:43 PM »
The clutch arm on my '90  was extended ~10mm by a previous owner.  It's always dragged when the lever is pulled because there isn't enough travel to properly actuate the clutch.  Any tips/tricks getting enough travel with an extended clutch arm?  I run a Works Connection perch with a bearing pivot and a MP Terminator cable.

Brian

kxtaz

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 12:57:59 AM »
im pretty sure 5mm is max you can extend clutch actuating arm and still get enough pull to fully disengage clutch.i suggest you cut 5mm off clutch arm and reweld it.thats probably not solution you wanted to here,but its the most practical.you will save the life of your clutch discs.plus by shortening clutch arm you should gain back a few turns of adjustment up at your lever.

NVR-FNSH

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 06:56:46 PM »
I was figuring that's what the response would be...

Anybody got an extra clutch arm they want to sell?  My bike's a '90 - don't know if '88-'03 are the same.  I'll try a stock length clutch arm/re-routed cable/Works Connection lever before extending the arm 5mm.

Brian

kxtaz

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 04:49:27 PM »
its really no big deal to shorten it by 5mm or back to stock.if you want i can shorten it for you No Charge you just pay shipping.it will only take about 30 minutes to cut and weld at correct length,so i would probably be able to ship back to you same day or day after it gets to me.if your interested email me hyroler777@rcn.com .if you live close enough to me you can just bring it by. i live in san fransisco bay area [South San Fran.]

Rick

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 10:56:23 AM »
Shortening the arm is an older method that has been around for awhile that many still use.  The latest method is to go with the stock cable, rerouted in front of the radiator and clutch lever side of the head, and using one of the bearing type clutch levers with a Honda ratio.  With the latest method, clutch pull rivals the 125 adn 250's, with little loss in total pull.

If I were in your shoes, and had to mess with the arm anyway, I would probably go with the 5mm modification.  However, if you want a certain fix, go back to stock and use the latest method.  Only problem is that the cost is just over $100 for a new cable and after market lever.

Rick

kxtaz

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 02:18:44 PM »
stock length or 5 mm extension on clutch arm either will work better than his current +10mm arm.personally i would make it about 3mm longer than stock and use MSR Raptor ez-pull Clutch lever & perch.

Rick

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 02:09:27 AM »
Yup, that would certainly make for less arm fatigue.  Never tried a 3mm change with the new lever assemblies, but it is an interesting thought.  Might be the right ticket overall...

Rick