Author Topic: Anybody stud there own tires?  (Read 2439 times)

Torch654

Anybody stud there own tires?
« on: December 05, 2005, 09:35:34 AM »
And with what\how? Sorry if this is a noob Q but I was woundering about it.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
RE: Anybody stud there own tires?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 11:24:33 AM »
A co-worker uses "cold-cutter" screws. I have not seen his work, but he claims they work well. He says he "aims" the screw heads. I helped a guy put sheet metal screws in his knobs many years ago, they were the hex head type. He was an amateur ice racer for fun, and I dont remember if he was competitive.  It took a lot of screws. I think there are a few ice racers on this site, hopefully they will reply with better information than I have.  I have wondered about all the really cool traction products available for snowmobile tracks and whether they could be adapted to motorcycle tires. Good Luck.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Flattracker60

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 06:14:35 AM »
I am a local Pro ice racer and have been riding CR500's and 450's(CRF & YZ). This will be my first year on the KX. As far as tires, to do it right..have them built by a pro. They use 1.25" Kold Kutter ice racing screws. The rear is a Kenda, the front is a Dunlop(with street bike tires on the inside for a liner for the screws to go into). There are around 1100 screws in the rear and around 800 in the front(that is for GP tires, lefty-righty. I use left only as I don't race GP courses, just ovals). I have some #'s to some of the best builders around. If you need them,let me know.

You can see pics of us at  www.cwira.com   (Central Wi ice racing ass.)I am the #10 '97 CR500.  Go to the photos link at the top of the page. We averaged 325 racers every Sunday last year. The club has been around for a long time.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:11:18 AM »
Nice site, I really like the video of survival after falling through the ice. Great pictures too. I have ice raced cars and trucks for over 20 years and only once has a truck broken through the ice. That survival video should be watched by everyone who ice races or ice fishes.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 04:36:44 PM »
Ice is only good for me in a drink! Thats freaky stuff right there!! You guys got the big clangers!! Must hurt when ya grease off?
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline GDubb

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 02:16:40 PM »
Quote from: Johnniespeed
Nice site, I really like the video of survival after falling through the ice. Great pictures too. I have ice raced cars and trucks for over 20 years and only once has a truck broken through the ice. That survival video should be watched by everyone who ice races or ice fishes.

I cant seem to find any videos.... took me long enough to find the #10 plate.. where's it at?
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Flattracker60

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 07:00:37 AM »
The only video is a guy that falls through the ice and explains how not to die(I didnt watch the whole thing). No race videos.