Author Topic: It was bound to happen...  (Read 10318 times)

Saner

It was bound to happen...
« on: December 03, 2005, 08:47:01 AM »
So I think I may have blown my motor.. Was topped out in 6th gear when the engine went dead.  I did a compression test and it had 115psi.  How much am I supposed to have?  I also checked ignition to make sure I have spark, and it did.  

Thanks,
Matt
KX100

Rowdy-Yates

RE: It was bound to happen...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 01:08:54 PM »
You may have fouled a plug. I did the same thing on my 125. My bike was in desperate need of a new top in too. I thought I would just throw that out there since that is what happened to me.

Saner

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 02:03:43 PM »
I tried changing the plug to a brand new one also, but it still didn't fire up.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  The search continues.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 03:43:10 PM »
It definitely could be in need of some new rings. Had a friends seriously punched out big-wheel KX80 do the same to me quite a few years back. It just felt like it ran out of gas, then it would just kick and kick and kick without even a sputter of life. Top end is very easy work, so if nothing else turns up then dont hesitate to pull the jug off.  If you are the least bit mechanically inclined then you shouldnt have any problems. Thats the main reason I have stayed with a 2-stroke instead of getting the YZ426F I was considering about the same time these guys here got me sold on the KX500.

Oh yeah... one more thing... wide open throttle for too long is a really easy way to blow a top end.  When doing long wide open runs, hold the kill switch for a few seconds every so often to let some fuel and oil cool the cylinder and lube things up real good. Then release the kill switch and get back on it and you should be good to go.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Saner

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 01:29:44 AM »
GDubb, that's exactly what happened to mine.  Went from screaming to instand dead.  No sputter.  I've rebuilt the top end of my jet skis, so this shouldn't be hard to do.
Good idea about the kill switch.  Never thought about that.  Guess I have a lot to learn.  
Thanks for the help, GDubb.  I'll let you know what I find.  By the way, do you know what stock compression is supposed to be?

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 11:38:52 AM »
Saner, now is the perfect time to install the kx500 motor, you will love the power.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Rowdy-Yates

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »
LOL 500 in a KX100 frame WAHOO

Saner

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 01:49:19 AM »
That would be insane!!  Believe me, if there was a way, I would do it in a second!  The only reason I bought the 100 is because I can't touch the ground on 125's and up.  I wish I could have at least the 125 motor in mine.  Hmmm wonder if it would fit?

Torch654

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 05:41:21 AM »
There was one a 500 in a 80 or 100 frame on E-bay a while ago.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 11:27:23 AM »
Insane is ok ! Why do you think so many have KX500's ? There is no reason any sane person needs that much power. But then we look for ways to add power.  What is wrong with us?
  Actually a 125 should perk up your 100 quite nicely. I dont know if it will fit . Do the engines external shape  look alike?
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: RE: It was bound to happen...
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 07:08:36 PM »
Quote from: Saner
That would be insane!!  Believe me, if there was a way, I would do it in a second!  The only reason I bought the 100 is because I can't touch the ground on 125's and up.  I wish I could have at least the 125 motor in mine.  Hmmm wonder if it would fit?

Here's your answer.

http://www.servicehonda.com/junior.html

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Saner

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 12:19:59 AM »
Quote from: Danger4u2
Here's your answer.

Danger

"Prices start at just $8,999."
My wife would have the divorce papers signed, dated and the envelope would have a stamp ready, lol.

Saner

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 12:22:13 AM »
Quote from: Johnniespeed
Insane is ok ! Why do you think so many have KX500's ? There is no reason any sane person needs that much power. But then we look for ways to add power.  What is wrong with us?
  Actually a 125 should perk up your 100 quite nicely. I dont know if it will fit . Do the engines external shape  look alike?

I agree.  I would love to pack a 500 motor in my bike.  As for the 125 shape, I'm not sure.  I'm going to have to take a look at one and do some measurements.  :o

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 05:12:33 AM »
Quote from: Saner
Here's your answer.

Danger

"Prices start at just $8,999."
My wife would have the divorce papers signed, dated and the envelope would have a stamp ready, lol.

I think they tack on 2 grand because the bike has wow factor.

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Saner

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 07:06:30 AM »

I think they tack on 2 grand because the bike has wow factor.

Danger

Definitely.