Author Topic: Odd Miscue....could use help to diagnose  (Read 3616 times)

ShanMan

Odd Miscue....could use help to diagnose
« on: April 21, 2003, 06:55:38 AM »
We were out at Glamis this weekend enjoying a last dune blitz before it gets Chernobyl hot. Everything was fine until we found ourselves at the infamous four o'clock drags. I took a 2/3 speed pass...fourth gear pinned. Everything was fine. I get ready for pass number two. This time I get a bit more serious, and dip in to fifth gear. At the end of the run, I stab a few quick downshifts while braking to make the turn-around. On the way back to the starting line, I notice the bike is missing all of a sudden. I decide it might be a good idea to let it cool down a bit, So I shut it off. about 10 minutes later, I kick it, she starts right up, and I make my third pass. This pass was supposed to be nothing but evil intent. Nope. I hammered it, and did get all the way to fifth gear pinned, but it is obvious that it's missing badly and not very fast. As I go to make the turn around again, the bike abruptly dies. It isn't siezed, and is getting gas, so I know it's spark. I park it.

After about an hour, we loaded it in the truck and hauled it back to camp. On a whim, I pulled the plug, which was dry as a bone but charcoal gray in color. I popped in a new plug, and she fires right up! I took it for a ride, and it rides fine. By this time, it is getting dark, so I parked it for the night. I left the next morning, so I haven't done anything with it since.

Do you guys think I simply fouled a plug, ir do you think that perhaps the ignition (original on this '87) may be getting ready to go? I can only sirmise that if it is the ignition, it is related to temperature...when resistances go up. Any thoughts here would be appreciated.  :?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 07:02:07 AM »
It sounds like the stator could be on its last legs. I'd have the resistance checked on the stator. Normally, when the stator gets hot and it is about to die, it will usally start cutting the spark, and then when cool it fires back up. Had an old ATV that did that for a while, replaced the stator and didn't have a problem. It could be just a plug, but who knows? I'd check the resistance on the plug. You can find the numbers in your service manual or maybe Kawasaki would have them.

Hope this helps

ShanMan

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 09:05:40 AM »
I have the manual, and will check for the specs. Being a mechanical guy, I try to avoid anything that even sounds elctronical (hehehe). With that said, what/how do I measure resistance in the stator? I know I start with one of dem der new-fangled volt meters, but after that things get all cloudy real fast like.... :?  Seriously, a little guidance would go along way here. TIA!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 10:24:43 AM »
Hmm.. I know you touch one side on the stator  pole, and the other on one of the wires, but I don't quite remember....  :? When I get off work I'll check it out, sorry dude.. I'll get ya the info, if somebody doesn't beat me..

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 01:02:46 PM »
aaah, home at last.... Ok, here's the info, now that I can think and overview.. :-)

Disconnect the Stator from CDI and what have you.

Black/Red to Black/Yellow --- should be 432-648 ohms
White/Red to White/Green --- should be 4.0-6.0 ohms

and the ohmmeter should be done with the engine cold... like 70 degrees or so...

Good luck

ShanMan

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 03:27:23 PM »
Awesome dude....you rock!  :D  Thank you so much for the info!