Author Topic: 2013 kx450 top end issues  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Smithk450

2013 kx450 top end issues
« on: April 09, 2022, 10:41:17 AM »
I did a head gasket change over the winter. First ride started first kick until about halfway thru the day it started back firing and hard to start. I’m guessing it jumped time. But at the end I cased a jump and it stalled and locked up kicker would not move. I took timing chain tensioner out and chain was still very tight. After taking the cams out I got the chain loose and now kicker will move and everything sounds smooth. There was marks on valve cover from chain hitting it. Tensioner seems ok. Anyone any suggestions what might be.

Offline KXDINO

Re: 2013 kx450 top end issues
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:12:43 PM »
How many hrs on cam chain , if it sitting high on the cam sprockets replace , any links kinked replace it, these engines are reliable if you keep fresh oil and filter maintanance , of course top end intervals are govered by how hard you ride and i dont mean just the piston and ring package , pay attention to valve wear , spring length , bucket wear , seat and guide wear etc , anything looks suspect replace ,i dont know how many hrs your 13 model has done but on our bikes 2 and 4 stroke we have set hrs we do on them than they come apart if they need it or not ,same with shocks and forks , linkage etc.