Maintenance & Technical > KX500 Original

00 kx5 case mods

(1/2) > >>

rider4christ:
My kick shaft has worn through and ovaled out the holes it rests in on the right side case and clutch cover causing it to “slip” out of place when kicked. Has anyone ever done any modifications to prevent this? It’s a long shot , but I was wondering if a machining pro could hone it circular again and then fit a bearing ring in it that the shaft could rest on, thus saving the case from wearing from hard kicks. I believe most bikes have this set up?

I will probably end up buying the right side and clutch cover for some ridiculous price, but will be left over with these originals to experiment with. Any ideas?

All input is appreciated!

KXDINO:
A good machine shop should fix that , and get the head fitted with a decomp button it will make it easier to start and less stress on the starting conponents.

rider4christ:
Hey thank you for replying! I wasn’t notified.

That is what I’m doing next is calling around to machine shops. If no one has confidence to do it, it can cost about $1,000 in parts alone. Used parts.

Thanks again for the advice, hopefully there is a shop that’ll be willing to take that on.

motorman455:
I drilled mine out with a simple handrill and put a bronze bushing in. Its now better than new! I may even have some extra bushings still...

alward25:
Tom Morgan can repair it.  Steve Wells sells new ones.  Kickstart idler gear is the name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version