Author Topic: KX 500 Rebuild -Motor is apart - in need of part repair services  (Read 949 times)

Offline KawasakiKid4Life96

Okay,

I bought a 1987 KX 500 and have completely disassembled it as of yesterday.

The motor does need work, and I am in need of recommendations for a few things.
Looking for services near or north of Atlanta, (or affordable and dependable within the United States). Preferably like to entrust the repairs with people even more anal than me! -Want to make sure it will be in good hands.

Cylinder Jug Resleeving

The piston was seized, and missing a little chunk on the front-lip-edge above the ring. The piston and rod have been soaking in rust-water for who knows how long. The sleeve looks as good as junk.

I want to go ahead and order a new piston, but despite measuring the old piston with dial calipers from countless points, I cannot conclusively say the old piston was a 86mm, 86.5, (or even an 87?) Measured center, top, bottom, sides, etc. -Guess I will have to wait until the resleeving expert lets me know, or, take suggestions from you all. I eventually want to do a Jeremy McGrath/Destry Abbott restomod so I can track the bike again. -Always wanted to to an AF-swap, but I bought the bike as a whole and its not in too terrible condition, and recently heard that the AF swaps have poor handling characteristics for the most part.

Crank Rod Pressing and Balancing

The crank has been sitting in rust-water for who knows how long! Though the shaft looks decent, I want to play it safe and already ordered a new one.
Obviously the piston is junk, (as mentioned above,) so is the cylinder jug sleeve.

Would like to find someone who can press on the new rod, and balance the crank and piston together. If this can be the same person as the resleeving, that's even more ideal.

Aluminum Welding Expertise

-The clutch case cover has a dent and crack that is not in the corner, does not look compromising, and seems readily repairable.

-The Oil drain bolt -spout? has an ungodly amount of JB weld on it.

Side note: do those TSR Clutch-accessible covers fit the '87? I'm sure they fit the '88-'04. As I understand, the '87 is the odd-ball, -but hey! I'm just happy to finally have a kx500!

Powervalve Replacement

I don't mean to break any hearts by saying this, but accidents happen: I made a learning error removing a powervalve, and the exhaust valve had a clean-snap. I could braze it back together, but I dont want to throw off any harmony of the motor, or risk another engine failure.

In need of a replacement #12005-1080, and am having a hard time finding one. There is a reproduction one on eBay, but the Italian dude wants like $160 for it. -Not a chance!

I can make an absolutely perfect* 3D model replica in SolidWorks, and have leftover aluminum cases from a kx250f I bought for parts (catastrophic case failure) that could be melted into an ingot. Just need someone that knows how to cast, and someone that can machine the part from my 3D model.

Alternatively, have you guys ever used the site: http://kxpowervalve.com/ before? I found them online. Believe they are Czech-based? If someone has used them before, I'd like to know your feedback with them. I would assume they are reliable, hobbyists, much like the brethren of this forum, and seem to have most every powervalve this forum could ask for. That being said, they are halfway around the world, so I'd like to know I can trust the guy before I reach out to him for parts and would like some reassurance.

Thank you all!
-Trevor
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 02:53:28 PM by KawasakiKid4Life96 »

Offline Steelio

Re: KX 500 Rebuild -Motor is apart - in need of part repair services
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 02:27:51 PM »
Ebay

Offline Markafc

Re: KX 500 Rebuild -Motor is apart - in need of part repair services
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 04:43:34 PM »
Re: your drain plug

Have you removed all the epoxy yet? If so is there any collar remaining? Is there any sign that a protruding collar (about 7/16" long) had been part of the case, drain plug threads within the collar representing approximately 75% of all threads available?  Curious as to answers as my 91' had epoxy all over the drain plug hole like yours. Ut had been stripped and unknowingly each time i changed oil the epoxy would fail a little more each time until finally about 3/4 of the collar broke away, not enough threads remained to hold any plug. Pending case split  w/ aluminum welding to fix. Curious if your have same situation, any resolve plans.

Good luck with your rebuild. I did a full on my 91, just gusseted frame points and powder coated frame.  A problem that i had was with the carb, a Keihin pk39mm always running rich. If your bike came with one, even a 37-38mm and you have the same problem and reducing jet sizes doesn't really fix  the problem, it's most likely a worn out needle jet (in an assembly) - everyone says you can't replace them but I found them. Hit me up if you need the fix.

MT
Reno, NV
USA