Author Topic: Top clamp  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Timbowe

Top clamp
« on: November 14, 2005, 01:08:11 PM »
Dudes! Looking at putting a adjustable top triple clamp on the KX5. Trouble is the manufacturers do not list any thing to suit the kx500. Underneath the original top clamp, it reads kx250 (on one stamp) and 02 on the another. So we ordered a 02 kx250 top clamp and were amazed to find that the holes were too big! Measured the tops of my forks (53.9mm)
 Can any body tell me what diameter of the 00/01 kx 250 top of the fork would measure? Please? Thank you!  Very much.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline GDubb

RE: Top clamp
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 05:51:37 PM »
I dont know the answer to your question but I do remember posts on here a ways back about the KX250 clamps being interchangeable... I think it was mid '90s KX250's though... I'll check the Kawi site and cross reference them for you if you like.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

hoopty

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 06:01:22 PM »
My 2001 KX500 has a 2001 KX250 top triple clamp on it, I broke mine and a friend loaned me that one. I'll be purchasing an adjustable for a 2001 KX250 shortly ;)

Offline GDubb

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »
Didnt do much good on the Kawi site.... they all have the same 5-digit part # 44039... but then there is a dash and a 4 digit number of which are all different between the models. Here are some old posts I found on the clamp situation though.
http://www.pitbull-racing.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=417&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=triple+clamp&start=15
and...
http://www.pitbull-racing.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=417&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=triple+clamp&start=15

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 06:37:43 PM »
Sweeeet az. Got me wondering why mine is stamped with "KX250 02" They are 2 different diameters.... HUH?
 Thanx 4 that.
KX500

Offline Arigato

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 01:40:01 AM »
Emig racing makes aftermarket clamps for the K5....My riding partner has a set on his bike and they are way cool.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 05:48:51 PM »
Will check into it. There is not a lot to choose from.. I really like the look of the pro taper setup. Very adjustable.
KX500

Offline Timbowe

Top Clamp
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 02:54:52 PM »
Just ordered the Pro Taper top clamp with 45 mm bar risers.
KX500

Offline GDubb

RE: Top Clamp
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 04:02:42 PM »
So you figured out which year KX250 to order them for? Which year did you go with? Also what made you decide on the 45mm risers? Ive put alot of thought into the height of my bars because Im 6'3" tall and when I stand up I feel like I'm a little hunched over and dont really feel like I'm in a natural position. I thought about getting taller bars, but I like my Magura SX fat bars, and I wanted to get aftermarket clamps anyways so that would be the answer to both issues. I have noticed that some freestylers have really tall bar setups but I just wasnt sure how tall I would want to go. You'll have to let me know what you think of them when you get 'em and get 'em installed.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 07:04:07 PM »
On the kdx I had qite a tall bar set up and really liked it. This bike came with a set of Renthal normal type but high bend bars. It is still a bit low for me and I'm just under 6 ft. Lower set bars do not encourage me to stand up enough. So I ordered the adjustable top clamp and I've got 2 sets of Pro Taper bars on loan from the shop to see which I like the best. Wyndham is the higher bend and the cr high bend is the other I will check out. Pro Taper has a range of 3 risers for 7/8 to 1 1/8 bar sizes from 32mm -55mm. Plus with the abillity to shift fore and aft I can really fine tune my comfort zone.

I'll let you know. About a week or so to get here.
KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 02:14:08 AM »
Timbowe,
 You are right about the bar position.  I flipped my stock clamps around to push the bars forward and raised them 3/8" with a custom spacer. Much nicer to stand. Makes me wonder why I didn't do that years ago. Not quite as "trick" as your top clamp though. Tempted to go higher but then it costs $$. Cam.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 05:13:32 AM »
Bit over $200 US I thought was'nt too bad really.. Considering the adjuctment factor.
KX500

Offline Timbowe

top clamp
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 05:32:17 PM »
Fitted up the top clamp today and new bars. There is no gap where the bolts tighten up round the fork. So I am going to shim round the fork to make sure that they are good and tight. Feels great standing on the pegs with the bike up on the jack. The real test will be up in the hills. Hanging out. No rides on this weekend stuff it! May get to the beach one morning this week if the tides are cool.
KX500

Offline Timbowe

RE: top clamp
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 10:52:07 AM »
Quick update: Had to shim out the clamp with .25mm doubled up shim material. So 1/2 mm round the fork and sliped the clamp over the top. Had to wedge a couple of screwdrivers into each gap of the clamp to make room for it to slip over easily.

So its sorted out now. Love the new position. Hard to sit, really feels wrong to sit. Have a few more adjustments to play with on the fore and aft setting also.

Scored a desert tank off ebay. Its a clear one to fit a 91. Theory being it should fit mine also. Or made to fit. $49.95 + shipping. Good for marathon rides.
KX500