Author Topic: Boogered up Engine Drain  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Aces_High

Boogered up Engine Drain
« on: December 31, 2021, 10:30:23 AM »
Hello everyone. I have a 2001 kx500 that I did a modest rebuild on a few years ago. The drain was stripped in the past and either the cases were cracked during the time sert installation or I carelessly put the engine down on the drain plug and cracked the threads for the time sert. I went to change the oil and had a steady leak that would not stop. At any rate I removed the time sert with an extractor and found the threads cracked with some of the cracks running down the cases and inch or so.

I initially gooped on some JB weld and hoped for the best and that did not work. The oil is weeping around the insert and draining the sump almost overnight. I called a few welders and they have declined the job stating that its never successful.

So i am at a crossroads, I already have bought a replacement time sert set and anaerobic sealant hoping I might be able to install a new insert with sealant. I have cleaned all the surface JB weld off as well in anticipation i will find a welder willing to give it a shot. And yes, using a chisel I am the idiot that made it look like a wild animal scratched the cases! Can anyone recommend a fix to this? Anyone know a welder in Southern California that has done this before? Appreciate any help on this.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Boogered up Engine Drain
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 05:34:22 AM »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.