Author Topic: How to build an @ss whooping KX500  (Read 16933 times)

Offline manco

Re: How to build an @ss whooping KX500
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »

I've read what you're saying about riding slow, in reality you're chasing torque  :lol:

Yes this. But I want the two 2t HP equivalent. For torque my go to is an XT600. I can ride as slow as I want pretty much anywhere. Just chugs along.

I want more of a 2t version made from HP. Where as the XT600 can lug slow I want the KX to be more chainsaw like. Just a two stroke BRAAAAAAAAAAAAW! of 30 HP at like 5mph.

Could always do an external gear reduction. 14 tooth front sprocket to a 28 tooth sprocket driving a 14 tooth sprocket driving a 52 tooth rear wheel sprocket. That'll do it fer sure.
"Never contend with a man who has nothing to lose.”
― Baltasar Gracián

Motorrad

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »
205 deg exh duration and 15:1 compression.......made mine a pippie rocket

Offline manco

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 04:39:18 AM »
Could always smoke the clutch. Get some fer real horsepower at low speed that way. rip rip riiiiiiiip!
― Baltasar Gracián

Motorrad

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
Could always smoke the clutch. Get some fer real horsepower at low speed that way. rip rip riiiiiiiip!

English translation?

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »
Don't get me wrong, i ride that CR5 way low in RPM, but It'll stand up and pull until the rev limiter at 12,500

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »
NOS
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline manco

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 10:00:48 AM »

English translation?

Traveling at low speed keeping the throttle up and the motor revving producing high HP while modualting the clutch's engagement considerably never quite allowing it to fully engage thus constantly slipping the clutch to some extant causing the clutch plates to get so hot they breakdown quicker then normal.

"rip rip riiiip rip riiiiip" would be the sound heard from the bike at its was throttled, clutch mostly released, rpm start to drop, clutch is pulled back in and the process starts alll over again.

Real world example: Clearing a rough trail by juggling clutch & throttle at low speed jerkily working the way up, over, around and through a technical rock garden without stalling the bike while letting the clutch take the abuse.

― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »
KX500 chainsaw makes short work of big log. Has left facing muffler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ddw6zP8F4E

― Baltasar Gracián

Offline hp-usa

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 07:20:03 AM »
I've had an '86, a '98 and a '02 street legal.  This is what I have done to give them more, useable power:  1)  with the head off, and the piston at TDC, measure the distance the cylinder extends above the piston's outer edge (this is a manufacturing tolerance). Turn this amount off the cylinder's BASE. This does two things--it increases the effective power stroke and raises the compression ratio. Make sure to check the squish clearance and keep 0.050" minimum and the increased compression may require more octane.  2)  a RAD valve in combo with the FMF Gnarley pipe makes the "E" engines have more off idle punch like the '86 engine. 3)  the PWK carbs are much more influenced by the slide cutaway than Mikunis--go two steps richer than stock (they are very lean) and not only will it pull harder on bottom, you'll notice most of the surging at constant high speeds is eliminated.  Oh, and buy shirts with longer sleeves...you'll need them!