Author Topic: KX500 Oil in Flywheel Cover  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Rubix1555

KX500 Oil in Flywheel Cover
« on: June 15, 2020, 03:47:57 PM »
Hi,

I just took of my flywheel cover and saw a little bit of oil in it?  I tired to attach a picture but it wouldn't let me. It's only about a teaspoon of oil. How bad is that? Is it enough that I would have to replace the crank seals?  I should also mention that I have chronically been running rich on this bike and have had a really hard time jetting it, but I did just replace the rad valve boot which I only recently noticed had a giant tear in it.

Offline Zack

Re: KX500 Oil in Flywheel Cover
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 01:41:11 AM »
A leaking crank seal won’t make your jetting rich- quite the contrary. However a bad crank seal can make 2 stroke engines difficult to jet.
In my opinion, it is time to start thinking about replacing the crank seals. Worn crank seals typically  don’t get better.
If the engine still starts easily and idles fine you might get a few more rides out of that leaky crank seal but I’d be willing to bet time you are now on borrowed time.

P.S. I have heard of some kx riders having trouble with crank seals leaking around the OD of the seal (where the seal presses into the case).This could be your problem- Might be worth your while to pull off the flywheel and have a closer look.. It just might seal back up with a shot of RTV.

Let us know what you find

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 02:30:48 AM »
What yer is your bike?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Rubix1555

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 03:30:22 PM »
Thanks, I plan on taking the flywheel off to check and I also want to check the stator while I'm there.  I'm just waiting on a flywheel puller in the mail.

Sandblaster, it's a 1991.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 03:53:47 PM »
When I go far enough to have to split the cases I replace ll the bearings, seals, bushings, snap rings, ect.
It saves time and aggravation later.
and yes, your seals re done  :-o

Your jet block o=ring gasket is likely junk and needs to be replaced.
Here is some info on it.

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=1472

You can buy one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-block-o-ring-1-Keihin-PWK-33-41-carburetor-35-36-38-39-40-mid-body-gasket/201306545569?epid=26002489292&hash=item2edece1da1:g:vCEAAOSw3Hxakr82

Get your crank seals dialed in first.
Fix the carb.
Then jet.
any other order is  waste of time.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.