Author Topic: Rear spokes  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Gage.Record

Rear spokes
« on: June 11, 2020, 05:12:31 AM »
I’m looking to get spokes for a 1987 kx500 rear wheel that’s 18” but I can’t find exactly what ones I need. I already ordered a set and they didn’t line up on the brake disc side, how can I figure out what spokes I need to get this wheel laced up, I don’t have the old spokes and does anyone know the measurement of the 2 different lengths of spokes for this wheel. Any direction would help, I’m pretty stuck because there seems to be many different lengths of spokes throughout the early years of the kx500. Thank you for your time.

Offline KXDINO

Re: Rear spokes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 09:07:06 AM »
2 different length spokes for that wheel , 9 at 179mm and 27 at 192mm, make sure you have the spokes in correct position like were they cross over must be in outer and inner position or it will throw out the angles , see if you can copy another model wheel that helps.

Offline Zack

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 03:45:45 AM »
If you are going for something a little flashier than oem then Buchanan spoke & wheel in California has spoke/ spoke nipple kits ready to ship for the ‘86 and on KX500 rear wheel.

Looks like you can get the spoke nipples in aluminum, stainless steel or blue zinc.

http://www.buchananspokes.com/products/spoke_kits_kawasaki_kx.asp

I have the stainless steel spokes on a few of my motorcycles and they are of excellent quality.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:27:22 PM by Zack »

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 10:10:49 AM »
I allways fit aluminum nipples so less chance of siezing on to the spoke as well as less unsprung weight you be surprised the differance compared to steel, less unsprung weight the better the suspension reacts over bumps .