Author Topic: SR500 Cylinder secrets revealed. What is there to learn.  (Read 1737 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
SR500 Cylinder secrets revealed. What is there to learn.
« on: April 19, 2020, 10:58:05 AM »
karlosthejackel was nice enough to give me some long awaited measurements for a SR500 cylinder.
What can we learn?
Click the link to KX Guru Racing and find out for yourself.

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=1563

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motorman455

Re: SR500 Cylinder secrets revealed. What is there to learn.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 07:44:12 AM »
Interesting! Although, their goal was probably to make smooth and manageable power rather than maximize it for something like drag racing or hill climbing. If they wanted max performance, we would most likely see some more radical mods done.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
Exactly right.
The fact that they had the 3 valves ahead of the production bikes show right what they were shooting for.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 03:22:40 AM »
As far as the polishing goes I would imagine knowing they would be opening it up often carbon build up would not be an issue as they would be cleaning/checking it fairly often.
The other side is a slightly stippled surface can actually flow more air. Got to see that first hand playing with an air flow bench when I was making air caps for a fuel injection company. Not exactly a 'scientific' study, but just a measurable difference we confirmed with a few mroe tests.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...