Author Topic: Need good direction,someone knowledgable on replacing rear shock, "84 KX500.  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Bower100

I'm looking for suggestions for a shock on my '84 500.  I have not found a good rebuildable stock shock …… I have 2 junk ones.
         I recently bought  a used Ohlins that WAS on an '84. Upon receiving it I see it's 1" longer than stock and was being used with the '85 adjustable link-arm/dogbane set short.
     I'm not confident refurbishing this set-up is a good idea.... mighta been some half-baked idea by a P/O.
Who can I contact out there that was into KX 500's back then.... someone knowledgeable on a good set-up, what worked.
Thanks, Dave
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:14:15 PM by Bower100 »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
I would not toss out the Ohlins.
I would contact them and see about shortening the stroke.
They may have other suggestions as well...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline KXDINO

what worn out on the 2 junk ones .if it the shaft you can have a new coating put on them and the housing were the piston slides can also be recoating , i saw a company in japan that does it , were  is the ohlins longer ?

Offline Bower100

Yeah they're both not just worn some, a gouged shaft ,both pistons shot, theyt wore into tube ID severely gouging them.

I've actually since discovered the 1" longer Ohlins is from a 1985 KX500, ( not a '84 like mine), AND is correct length for the '85 !

1984 shock = 15 1/4" long
1985 shock = 16 1/4+" long

Anyone wanna trade a decent, (but should be refurbished), OHLINS BRAND shock proper for a 1985 in exchange for a equal condition 1984 stocker ?
Dave

Offline KXDINO

Try every bike wrecker you can find , has to be one that half decent, that ok to be rebuilt.

Offline cwtoyota

Yeah they're both not just worn some, a gouged shaft ,both pistons shot, theyt wore into tube ID severely gouging them.

I've actually since discovered the 1" longer Ohlins is from a 1985 KX500, ( not a '84 like mine), AND is correct length for the '85 !

1984 shock = 15 1/4" long
1985 shock = 16 1/4+" long

Anyone wanna trade a decent, (but should be refurbished), OHLINS BRAND shock proper for a 1985 in exchange for a equal condition 1984 stocker ?
Dave

If you can't find a good shock body it's possible to build a replacement using a mix of modern stuff.
I'm a machinist and make stuff like this all the time:

Cut the top reservoir and clevis off of say a YZ250F shock (They are common, inexpensive 46mm bodies).
Machine an internal thread inside the freshly cut end of the shock body.
Machine a new solid aluminum clevis with an o-ring groove that threads into your modified YZ shock body.
Retain the YZ Seal head and internals.
Modify the YZ shaft or KX clevis from one of your damaged shocks, or machine a new clevis.

Valving would have to be figured out unless a donor shock body could be found that was similar diameter to yours.
Just some thoughts.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
I just lowered the stock suspension on my KX500 8"
I didn't buy 450 bucks of Race Tech goodies.
I bought the normal rebuild components, seal head, bladder, bump stop, and oil.
I made my own lowering blocks for the shock from some automotive polyurethane suspension bushings.
I could have used all sorts of things even a old skateboard wheel  :-D
To do it right I should have bought new springs, I didn't. I cut mine and I should have changed the shim stack to stiffen them up and I didn't do that either :-o
You should never cut your springs as you change the rate.
But for my build it does not really matter..
In your case you might have enough threads on your shock to compensate without cutting your spring.
Last, my guess is you would need to change the shim stack to make the dampening a bit stiffer but really, I don't know as I am not a suspension guy.
Again, for what I'm doing, my slip shod, back yard butchery will work just fine.
For what you are doing, just a little more work should get you tuned up.

Now.. if you still want to trade shocks I may have one.
I have two 83s and a 84 KX500..

Just let me know,,
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.