Author Topic: Kx500 snowbike  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Bcsnowbiker

Kx500 snowbike
« on: April 16, 2020, 04:09:00 AM »

Seeing that I received lots of advice from here last year on rebuilding my kx5 to a snowbike thought I would post a video so you can hear the final product in action.
Bike was a 91 I bought for 2k CAD in fair to rough shape. Split the cases and rebuilt the crank with a vesrah rod kit. New main bearings and seals, new tranny bearings throughout. Thankfully the tranny itself was in excellent condition. The clutch, not so much. Full replacement minus the pressure plate, only thing salvageable. Rebuilt water pump, new rads. Cylinder was in fine condition so new top end and rebuild of the pv was all that was needed there.
Cleaned up the transfer ports, there was quite a bit to improve on there and polished up the exhaust. 0.2mm head gasket bringing the squish down to 1.7mm from the crazy 2.5mm it was.
Desert gnarly pipe and powercore exhaust.
Intake is a pod type with just a prefilter over it to keep the snow out. Boyesen pro series reeds.
Intellajet installed on carb for altitude and load tuning. Carb has
55 pilot
N82m 1 St clip
150 main

This summers mods to include head work to tighten squish a hair more and get a decompression button for some easier cold starting and a rad valve since my intake boot is getting on it's last legs.

https://youtu.be/AABMMPawZgw

Offline kxpegger

Re: Kx500 snowbike
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 05:22:36 AM »
Sounds good! Seems like a lot more throttle required though?
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline Bcsnowbiker

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 05:37:22 AM »
Yeah the combination of the track and the deep snow means you are full throttle the majority of the time. Think super deep sand hills multiplied.

Offline Wilde1yamaha

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »
I have a 1988 and a 1990 kx500 and they are both snowbikes, on the 1990 it is big bored to a 530, reed spacer and a larger lectron carb that I can't remember the size, but the big bore bike has way more torque and doesn't lose rpm compared to my 1988. I recommend Eric gore big bore and a decompression

Offline Bcsnowbiker

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »
Nice 👍
What kind of tracks do you run? Personally I am on a Mototrax 137"
On my kx I find there is no shortage of torque, just would like it to pull longer, more top end.
Talked to Adam Millar with MRE today and he has some ideas for my head 👍

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »
Put a new stic metering block in your carb , for more mid to top and over rev power.

Offline Bcsnowbiker

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 05:46:43 AM »
Yeah these piqued my interest.
Do you have any personal experience with one?
My final thoughts were it's a pricey gamble to add with the intellajet already installed that works on a similar principal but is an added circuit. Tuning the two together could be a nightmare and I am quite pleased with the performance of the intellajet. I like being able to manually tune the carb to varying conditions.