Author Topic: KX500 Crank oil seal issue, help !!!  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Dad of Alf

KX500 Crank oil seal issue, help !!!
« on: January 25, 2020, 12:00:54 AM »
Hello,
I'm having all kind of issues with our K5 motor.
The clutch side oil seal is loose in its housing. I've used bearing fit on the seal. I also made a retainer ring to go between bearing and seal (with a notch to allow lube to get to bearing). The oil seal housing is currently standard, with the seal being fitted from 'inside the casing.
The bike is currently OK and doesn't smoke etc but I'm thinking about what I can do to fit a larger outside dia seal. Or is there another option for this problem.
Thanks

Offline lgnkotr

Re: KX500 Crank oil seal issue, help !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 01:00:49 AM »
Question since I may have to replace my crankcase seal and don't remember where it was when i rebuilt my bike a year ago. Does a person have to split the crankcase to replace this seal or can it be done by just removing the clutch?

Offline Dad of Alf

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 11:24:15 PM »
Hello,
No one had this issue then !!!
I have now since fixed the problem and bike runs great. 56 on the dyno yesterday which I'm chuffed about.

In answer to your question - No, seals fit from the inside, need to separate casings.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 03:33:32 AM »
You didn't mention how you fixed it.
I have never had that be a issue.
If the OD of the seal was loose I would install it with case sealant being careful to keep the sealant on the OD only.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Dad of Alf

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 02:11:53 AM »
Hello Sandblaster,
Yes I used a genuine Kawasaki seal with a small amount of bearing fit solution.
Then made a retaining washer on the lathe that went in the shallow recess between the main bearing and the seal. This was measured to ensure there is a 'light squeeze' on the seal once the main bearing was fitted, fully home.
The seal protrudes inwards a small amount once fitted, Note : There is a very small ring of rubber on the circumference edge (the thin edge innermost when fitted) on genuine main seals. This washer pushes against that edge.
I put a few dots of threebond in the recess beforehand to hold the washer in place to stop it bouncing out.
I also notched the washer so a tab bent into the cylinder drain 'groove', That way the washer doesn't rotate thus blocking off that drain hole.
Pressed bearing fully home  ... all good. 

Thanks

Offline dave916

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 06:38:53 AM »
Main bearing loose in case in common, never seen seal loose on kv5
Bearing retainer should work good since the seal is steel outer

leo Sadzerwiczon kx GURU [FACEBOOK] made insert for smaller removable from outside seal / would work good for u