Author Topic: KX500.. HEY!!!! Where is everyone???  (Read 2369 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
KX500.. HEY!!!! Where is everyone???
« on: January 19, 2020, 05:44:49 AM »
Seems this site like so many other forums is drying up.
It is very sad to me.
I learned so much over the last 10 years here and met a bunch of great guys.

What can be done to save it?

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kxpegger

Re: KX500.. HEY!!!! Where is everyone???
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 09:38:11 AM »
I think a lot of it is other social media platforms and most people realizing that new OEM engine and drive train parts for the 500 are about gone. For the average guy new OEM parts have become unobtainium. Makes it a tough decision to buy or keep a 500 even if it still runs. I keep hoping someone will step up and start quality reproduction parts as good or better than OEM. What are the chances of that being profitable...

This site has been a tremendous wealth of information especially for 500's and an immense help to me personally! I don't know what can be done really? Even a lot of my printed favorite magazines which I prefer to online reading are gone or struggling to stay afloat. World keeps changing and "new" more often than not these days is not better than old.

North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline motorman455

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 11:20:28 AM »
I think it's just that time of year too. Although for those of us in snow covered states, this is the time of year for hop ups! I'm putting new cams in the kx450f and big bore in the Yamaha Raptor 700. I've already modded the KX500 so much that the last thing i did in the fall was to install a flywheel weight to calm 'er down a bit. That STIC carb mod made her almost too responsive!

Offline Truckdriver

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
I hope not I only joined a short time ago after looking in as a guest for a while. I got excited about my kx 500 again and found some great information here and people doing mods that I don’t think I could do, I appreciate the decompression valve that Larry installed and I’m excited about getting my 2piece clutch cover back, this site has been great. I come here before the clymer when I have something to fix

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 03:47:32 PM »
People come and go on sites , get the information there after and cruise right on which is fine BUT i have come across the younger generation who dont even know what a kx500 is i kid you not, and that was at a kaw bike shop.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 05:01:41 PM »
People come and go on sites , get the information there after and cruise right on which is fine BUT i have come across the younger generation who dont even know what a kx500 is i kid you not, and that was at a kaw bike shop.

Ouch...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ftc

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
where is fox at?  i like seeing the for sale ads...  yea its been pretty slow

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
I try to check in as often as possible, work has not slowed down as would usually happen for this time of year.  I let My kid take my K5 for  a dune trip to Pismo last September and hasn't returned it yet... :x  I told him he could have it when I "Tip over"   but I want it back till then...
 The guys he rides with are all in their 20's and all took turns on it for the 3 days they were there.
  4 of them said they had to find one for themselves after that, so there is still hope for the next gen.! :-D

I'm sure  social media has sites active w/K5 stuff as I see links all the time.  I don't have any of that stuff. 
There is a ton of good info here Folks took a lot of time to document and post.  I would hate to lose it. 
I used to go to the oldest posts and work my way up to the present but never got past pg.200 on the KX original thread.
I showed up here just after it went to KXriders. from "Pitbull Racing".   
  Maybe the social Media sites could put a link here and send some "New to the KX" people this direction.
 Does my heart good to see a revival of the  two stroke, unfortunately  the prices on  old bikes and parts is trending upward
 faster than you can take your hat off :-o !!
    Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Borntworide

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 09:25:51 AM »
Seems this site like so many other forums is drying up.
It is very sad to me.
I learned so much over the last 10 years here and met a bunch of great guys.

What can be done to save it?

that issue was awesome. I wonder how much money they have in both those bikes!!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 04:27:45 PM »
The KX500 if you wanted it built for you would run about 25K to duplicate.
Maybe a bit more depending on current roller prices.

The KtX500e would cost you 30k just in parts, no labor.