Author Topic: Renthal Handlebars/First start up in 15 years  (Read 1432 times)

Offline T1

Renthal Handlebars/First start up in 15 years
« on: October 21, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »
Hello,

I’m new here. Just bought a 1992 KX500. Does anyone run the Renthal 791 Rickey Carmichael handlebars? I’m wondering if my front cables will be long enough to use with  that style, or is there a preferred Renthal model for our bikes?

Secondly, my bike hasn’t been started since 2004. Planning on taking the spark plug out and pouring a little 2 stroke oil in the barrel and kicking it several times, reinstall plug and hopefully try to start. Probably also rebuild the carb, new tires. Any other advice for a bike sitting for 15 years?

Thanks

Offline cwtoyota

Re: Renthal Handlebars/First start up in 15 years
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 03:07:17 AM »
Check out the air filter and consider re-sealing the air boot to the air-box before you start the bike.

The air-filters tend to fall apart after sitting for several years.   At a minimum wash and re-oil it if it's in good shape.
I don't think the airboot to airbox joint on the KX500 is a very good design.   

I recently bought a 1990 model that had been sitting since about 2004.
I put a little bead of silicon in the joint on mine to ensure it will stay sealed and straightened out the small warpage in that little aluminum clamping plate.