Author Topic: 86 KX500 HARD STARTING  (Read 7119 times)

Offline JBKX

86 KX500 HARD STARTING
« on: February 10, 2003, 02:18:13 AM »
:?:
I BOUGHT A 86 KX500 THAT I CAN PULL START BUT HAVE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO KICKSTART ONCE.  I BELIEVE THE MOTOR HAS HAD QUITE A BIT OF WORK DONE AND JUST TOO MUCH COMPRESSION FOR ME TO GET A GOOD ENOUGH KICK TO BRING IT ALIVE.  ALL OF THE ELECTRICALS CHECK OUT WITHIN SPEC'S.  IS THERE A COMPRESSION RELEASE KIT AVAILABLE, AND IF SO IS IT A BEAR TO INSTALL?  WILL A STEAHLY FLYWHEEL WEIGHT DO WHAT I NEED DONE.  THE MOTOR HAS A MOSSBARGER REED CAGE AND SPACER, DOES THIS EFFECT STARTING?  IS THERE A "TRICK" TO GETTING THIS MONSTER KICKED OVER?  ANY INFO. IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
2) 1986 KXT250 TECATE 3's
1986 KXT500 TECATE
2001 KX500SF

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
86 KX500 HARD STARTING
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 04:26:48 AM »
The extra flywheel weight will do many things for you including help the starting.

Hogwylde

86 KX500 HARD STARTING
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 04:41:47 AM »
There IS a trick.....at least one that I've found on my 93 and my bro-in-laws 90.  Make sure your kick starter is positioned correctly on the shaft.  This would be as far forward as possible that lets it fold into the correct position.  

When you are ready to start kicking, slowly bring the engine around until it's just coming up on the compression.....you will feel it.  Then, let the kick lever up ALL the way!!  You need to do this so when you kick it, it goes thru TWO complete compression cycles.  Once I taught this trick to my bro-in-law, he was able to do one kick warm starts almost all the time.

When it's COLD, that's a different story.  Make sure you can get two full compression strokes when you are kicking, but I usually lean on the triangle stand or against a tree and stand up on the pegs to get her going.

Both these bikes like full choke and no throttle (or very little) when starting cold too.

Before I taught my bro-in-law that trick, he would kick and kick and kick......getting only one compression stroke in all the time, and he just couldn't get it going.  We found his kickstarter was a couple teeth back, then I showed him how to kick it right.  He's much happier he doesn't have to kill himself now.  

Also, if you haven't already discovered......tennis shoes are suicide.  Even using heavy boots is murder.  Make sure you have your MX riding boots on when kicking the beast!!!

Offline JBKX

86 KX500 HARD STARTING
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 05:35:58 AM »
MOVING THE KICKSTARTER WORKED!  THE PSI PIPE THAT IS ON THE BIKE DOESN'T LET THE KICKSTARTER FOLD IN LIKE IT SHOULD BUT I WILL MODIFY IT SO IT'LL WORK.  THANKS FOR THE INFO!!
2) 1986 KXT250 TECATE 3's
1986 KXT500 TECATE
2001 KX500SF

Hogwylde

86 KX500 HARD STARTING
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 09:46:50 AM »
Glad I could help!!   :D

dcollins4328

Re: 86 KX500 HARD STARTING
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:32:50 AM »
One trick I learned is to put the bike in gear and rock it back and forth a few times, then put it in nuetral and kick it over.  This works well when the bike is cold.

chrisorbics

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »
I have gotten used to having a busted right foot. Is the steahley flywheel really worth it? Does anybody make a cheaper flywheel?

Offline c-152

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 11:47:18 AM »
If your application is woods riding, I believe the flywheel wieght is very useful.  It makes the big five run like a thumper in the spots that you need to lug but still has plenty of 2stroke juice.  Their are some on this forum who would disagree with me and hate wieghts but for me in southern ohio, it is great. 
As far as the starting is conserned, use the search feature and you will find a ton of tips for starting the beast.  I will list my procedure when cold- many tips taken from other guys in this forum
1. turn the gas on and choke on - then lean the bike over until a little gas comes out
2. Put the bike in gear and rock it back and forth in gear as stated above - then return it to neutral (I cant see how this helps other than oiling the tranny a little more, but hey it works)
3. While holding half throttle, slowly kick the bike over a few times
4. Get the bike to TDC
5. Now give it a strong (kick it like you mean it) Kick and for me it usually fires within the first three kicks - I make sure I hold the front brake as most people do so I can keep the bike stable and so I do not give the bike to much gas

The most important point is to kick it hard and wear boots
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline raredesign

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 05:36:21 AM »
They should have used hydraulics for this thing lol

Offline kyser777

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 10:36:41 PM »
the 86-88 stator and flywheel system delivers less energy at low speed than 90-on ignition system.
this is why you need to give a QUICK AND FULL STRONG KICK ALL THE WAY to start the bike.

with a new type ignition system(90-on), it is very easy! I tried both on a 87 kx500 , night and day frankly,

my 2ct.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:34:22 PM by kyser777 »

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »
I knew kawi should of put e start on k5 , that 2 mistakes they did , the other is stop making them. :-(