Author Topic: OEM expansion chamber  (Read 2424 times)

Offline k9Mike

OEM expansion chamber
« on: October 01, 2019, 02:39:40 PM »
I'm looking for a mint/new OEM expansion chamber for a 98-04 KX-500 (18120-1094) (long shot I know).
Looks like this needs to be added to the 'no longer available' list.

Thx!

Offline k9Mike

Re: OEM expansion chamber
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »
The likelihood of finding an orig. pipe in good shape is probably nil. 

So next question:
What is the finish on the OEM KX5 pipe? Was it matte, satin, or semi gloss black?

Update:
Answering my own question...
Looking at lots of pics, it's pretty clearly a matte black finish. Would still like to find an OEM pipe, but backup plan is to refinish an FMF Gnarly in black.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:11:26 AM by k9Mike »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:25:23 AM »
I too am looking for something decent OEM. I'm getting hassled by my environmental police for having an illegal FMF pipe. The OEM Kawi pipes are VERY tough, and they use some type of unique "hard coat" It's actually like a charcoal dark gray color.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 02:45:02 AM »
They changed in I believe '96, to the harder, more durable dark grey finish...I think it's a ceramic coating, but don't hold me to that. Before that, they just had a black paint coating them.

You can definitely see the difference from the '95 to the '96...
http://www.motodacross.com/kawasaki/500.html
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline k9Mike

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
I've searched for an oem pipe that didn't look like it had 18 years of abuse on it... and not been successful.

Until I am, I'm stuck with what's available. Since the FMF Gnarly is the usual pipe of choice for the riding I do (trail, hills, etc.), and most importantly, I can still get one new, that's what I'm going to get.

I'm not a fan of their shiny finish and I want it to look stock, so my plan is to remove the nickel coating (I know that's cringey for some), and have it refinished.  I'm just trying to find out what the actual original color was and if it was ceramic or just high temp paint.

Thanks for the link to the pics of different years.  Do you think the color changed? Or did they just go from a matte(flat) black to a satin (with more sheen) black finish?

Offline k9Mike

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »
I too am looking for something decent OEM. I'm getting hassled by my environmental police for having an illegal FMF pipe. The OEM Kawi pipes are VERY tough, and they use some type of unique "hard coat" It's actually like a charcoal dark gray color.
Where are aftermarket off road pipes illegal? I thought the only thing rangers and such could get you for was either exceeding noise levels, or not having a spark arrestor (both issues fixed with the right silencer).

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »
Crazy, in Oregon they don't care what pipe you use off road as long as the muffler is a USFS approved spark arrestor and does not make over 92 db. However, on the street, anything goes no matter how loud it is, and no spark arrestor is required...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Bengt Weil

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 03:02:33 PM »
For those looking for a mint OEM pipe -

https://www.revzilla.com/oem/kawasaki/kawasaki-18120-1094-chamber-exhaust?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouXatJaO5QIVFx6tBh3u-w6LEAYYASABEgJmWPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm guessing  1) it's an old ad and is not available   and  2) if it is really available, it'll cost even more than the displayed price!

I do have a very good condition (no rust, minor ding or two w/good original finish) OEM pipe in my garage that I might part with if someone is interested...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:07:13 PM by Bengt Weil »

Offline k9Mike

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 05:05:25 PM »
Unless the parts dealers have a part in stock, they simply forward the order to Kawasaki. Unfortunately, Kawasaki has discontinued the OEM pipe.  And so far, I've not found anyone that had one in stock... which I guess makes sense. Who would want to stock oem pipes when FMF or PC pipes are available for less.

Many oem parts dealers' web sites allow you to place orders for discontinued and not available parts. It really is annoying ordering a part only to have your order cancelled saying 'no longer available'.

With regard to your pipe, I would love to take a look if you had any hi-res pics of it.
Thanks!

Offline Bengt Weil

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »
PM sent regarding picture inquiry...