Author Topic: question on timing  (Read 5261 times)

Offline GDubb

question on timing
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 02:46:32 PM »
I guess I'm just lucky. I have the jetting set to the chart here, and my bike is getting up there in age(97), but I can start mine with shoes on, and even started it really cold with no choke one of the first times I ever rode it.  I hope you guys get this thing figured out soon. I love this bike and it will most likely be the last bike I ever own by the way it treats me so far.  I brag about these bad boys everywhere I go and would like you guys to be able to do the same. Good luck!!!
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
question on timing
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 07:04:05 PM »
Gowen wrote: The d**n kick starter doesn't grab.
I have the same problem with my 04'. At first it wasn't so bad every once in a while it would not grab, but now it doesn't grab at all. Last time I rode my bike was Holloween. It took an hour to start it. When it would grab it would be at half stroke. After about an hour it grabed at the top of the stroke and it started. We were at Little Sahara State Park in Okla. I rode it out to the big dunes but was so worried I might kill the bike I only went up 2 of the big dunes, turned around and went back to camp.  I put up the K5 and had to ride the 400EX. Talk about walk speed compaired to the K5. I still had fun but nothing like the blistering speed of the K5. When it does ingage on the top of the stroke it's a 2 kicker. I will open her up when I get some money set aside, in case I find something real bad inside. What P's me off is this bike only has about 25 hours on it. It's done this since day one. Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
question on timing
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 06:43:05 AM »
When the cure is located. I will buy whatever parts are needed to keep as spares. My bike has had 190 gallons of fuel through it and the starter only slipped once, and I thought that may have been my fault. When you figure it out, make sure you post the fix. Thanks.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
question on timing
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 03:12:47 AM »
I went back and read this whole thred to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Johnniespeed wrote:"Because I am not real tall (5'8") I sometimes use a milk crate or picnic table to stand on while kicking. I have found that by raising "ME" up I can apply much more force and speed to the "kick" I always wear motocross boots when kicking and I put my body,mind and soul into every kick. Hope this helps! Dont give up!"

I'm 6 ft. tall and I've only started my bike on flat ground maybe 10 times, when I killed it at low speed and couldn't find something to stand on. Even before I hurt my right knee I would stand on the bumper of the truck or the back of the trailer. Now my right knee will only bend about 90 degrees so I can't put my foot on the kicker unless I stand on something. My bike aways started fine when the kicker ingages. I'm thinking a burr on the shaft or weak spring that most likley broke last time I rode, because it won't engage now.

Dec. 11 th it will be 1 year since I wrecked the K5 and hurt my knee so bad. Oklahoma weather is wild. This time last year it was 70 degrees the day I wrecked, today it won't get above 10 degrees.
I will tear into the bike mid Jan. I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find.

Danger
KX 500 Rider

IridiumRed

question on timing
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 03:38:50 AM »
I'm 5'4, 155 lbs

My 97 KX5 is my first dirtbike (been riding motorcycles for 12 years)

I rebuilt the motor, 190 psi compression

The bike is stock height, and I always start the bike on flat ground.  First or second kick it fires, even cold.

I think its all technique people!  I do a couple of slow priming kicks, then carefully get it to TDC

And then I throw my body up as high as i can go and come down hard

"Kick" is kind of the wrong term - you can't jab it, I think about ramming the kicker down into the footpeg

I do it in tennis shoes anymore if I'm working on it.  I found that what hurt my foot was when the kicker bottomed out on on the footpeg. THAT hurt!!  so i ground some clearance into the footpeg so the kicker wouldn't bottom out so hard, and that made a world of difference...

Offline Timbowe

question on timing
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 04:30:21 AM »
Iridiuum nailed it there! TECHNIQUE! You just can not be half arsed about this. Boot like you mean it. I was used to jabbing the KDX200. Then when I got a 500 all that changed. They have to be booted all the way. Start at the top and make sure that the kicker smacks the footpeg.
 Mines fires up (usally) first kick hot or cold every time.

I do find the rocking in 2nd gear thing helps big time! When cold starting.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

kawdude

question on timing
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 09:41:12 AM »
Once mine is warm it starts 2nd or 3rd kick without incident.  I checked the coils last year when it was rebuild and they showed similar properties...not within spec but darn close.  I think the spark was much hotter and bigger with the 15 year old plug.  The iridium or platinum plug that was in there didn't show the same spark even when new.

Torch654

question on timing
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 09:59:28 AM »
On mine I do the primeing kicks, find TDC then kick it like a Harley. Starts first time. I have tried playing around with seat kicks to see and have NEVER started it that way.

Offline GDubb

question on timing
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 02:34:51 PM »
Kick it like a Harley?  I dont think I could have ever thought of a better wording than that.  I also heard on here someone say that you cant use a "leg kick" like you can a 250 or a 125. Its a "full body kick" to start the 500.  I personally think that the key to starting the big5 is getting it to TDC before you kick.  I learned this on a friends CR500 a couple years before I even bought my KX.  I was the only one that could start the CR without wearing myself out just because I knew how to find TDC even though I was more of the less experienced rider at the time. It was kind of cool at the time having someone who could ride circles around me have to ask me to start the bike for them. Move the kicker through rotation slowly, you can feel the kicker gain resistence, then release and get easier. The point where the resistence stops, releases, and becomes easier is TDC. Get it right to the point where the resistence gives way, then let the kick lever come all the way back up to the top of its stroke, then give it a "full body kick". Put everything you have into it, your full body weight too,  and take the time to find TDC EVERY TIME you kick it over or you're wasting your time. Hopefully this helps some of you out.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -