Author Topic: 2002 KX500 restoration - resource suggestions  (Read 4861 times)

Offline k9Mike

2002 KX500 restoration - resource suggestions
« on: September 08, 2019, 07:49:37 AM »
Hi,
I'm working on the 'to-do' list for the restoration of my 2002 KX500 and would like some suggestions on resources to do the things I don't have the tools or skills to perform.

This bike will be used for trail / rec riding, so nothing needs to be radical/cutting edge, etc.  Just want a reliable (and as close to OEM as practical) machine.

First off is engine rebuild.  Looking for someone to rebuild/refresh the engine back to OEM specs (or better). Would also like a balanced/trued crank to reduce vibration and any other 'quality of life' and reliability mods.

Next would be frame... inspected, repaired if necessary, as well as installation of a JT gusset kit.
After the structural attention, I'd need a shop to prep & powder coat it the usual Kawi green.

I'm also contemplating sending off the shock and forks to Pro-Action Suspension to have them rebuild/revalved. Suggestions pro or con would be great.

This is the start of a long process and I'd love recommendations for folks who live & breath KX's to give the core of my machine a rock solid foundation.
Thanks!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: 2002 KX500 restoration - resource suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »
I'd contact Jason Tanner.
He owns JT Engine Works.
He can do all that and more.
541-653-5334
He designed your gusset mounts..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline k9Mike

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline Bball

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
I’m planning on the same thing with my 2001 kx 500 . I was planning on lecton carb and rekluse bike will be for wv woods riding no racing . Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 04:00:57 PM »
I’m planning on the same thing with my 2001 kx 500 . I was planning on lecton carb and rekluse bike will be for wv woods riding no racing . Any other suggestions would be appreciated

38mm Air striker carb, flywheel weight, lower gearing, flexx bars and flexx pegs.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motodog

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »
You should check out Growler Racing.  Growler builds some wicked fast engines, bikes and and custom cone pipes. For pictures and more information visit the following FACEBOOK page link.  https://www.facebook.com/Growler-Racing-422181648331115/ or contact Growler Racing @ neverendingroost@gmail.com.

Offline k9Mike

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 01:57:31 PM »
Has anyone installed a kickstand (like Pro-Moto) and a frame protector? Looks like they use same bolt holes. Wondering if there is a combo that can be stacked.

Offline ftc

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 01:00:44 AM »
Has anyone installed a kickstand (like Pro-Moto) and a frame protector? Looks like they use same bolt holes. Wondering if there is a combo that can be stacked.

you bet, can see it in my rebuild thread on the second page.  you will have to bend the frame guard a little in a vice or something but its pretty easy.  pro moto billet kickstand with works connection frame guards.

Offline k9Mike

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 07:30:32 AM »
you bet, can see it in my rebuild thread on the second page.  you will have to bend the frame guard a little in a vice or something but its pretty easy.  pro moto billet kickstand with works connection frame guards.
Ah, cool. Thanks! That's just what I was hoping.

Offline k9Mike

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 01:55:15 PM »
Looking for these 'no longer available' OEM parts. These are probably the most important performance related parts of my restoration.  :-D

They are the 2002 OEM tank and shroud decals.  I've scoured the internet, contacted countless parts houses local and abroad, and no one has any NOS. It looked like Factory Effex had them at one time but no longer.

Was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions before I get out CorelDraw and try to recreate them.

Thanks!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 11:59:23 PM »
Looking for these 'no longer available' OEM parts. These are probably the most important performance related parts of my restoration.  :-D

They are the 2002 OEM tank and shroud decals.  I've scoured the internet, contacted countless parts houses local and abroad, and no one has any NOS. It looked like Factory Effex had them at one time but no longer.

Was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions before I get out CorelDraw and try to recreate them.

Thanks!

It took me nearly 4 years of scouring e-bay on a daily basis to find some OEM tank/shroud decals for my bike...they're out there...it all depends on how patient and determined you are, to wait for that one person to decide they no longer want/need em laying on their shelf.
Or, you can cantact Frank over at EVO. I've had him create a couple sets of aftermarket OEM style tank/shroud graphics and swingarm logo's. He does awesome work..it's a little pricey shipping wise, as he's in the UK, but it fast shipping, and the quality is amazing.

Take a look around his site.

https://www.evo-mx.com/product-category/kawasaki-kx/page/10/

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ftc

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 01:47:41 AM »
i second frank at evo mx, easy to communicate with and will make u whatever u need.  and quality is top notch

Offline k9Mike

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 12:01:40 PM »
With all the searching for decals I did, don't know how I missed evo-mx.com.  They had a 2002 OEM replica decal set which I ordered. Looking at them (tank & shrouds) up close vs. OEM and they appear dead on. And the whole kit being 1/4 the price of OEM, when I fall and scratch them up, I won't cringe as much.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just what I was looking for!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »
With all the searching for decals I did, don't know how I missed evo-mx.com.  They had a 2002 OEM replica decal set which I ordered. Looking at them (tank & shrouds) up close vs. OEM and they appear dead on. And the whole kit being 1/4 the price of OEM, when I fall and scratch them up, I won't cringe as much.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just what I was looking for!

No problem...enjoy  8-)
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Bball

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 12:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the input and suggestions . I’ll post some pics when I get the bike completed