Author Topic: A new lesson learned  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

A new lesson learned
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:48:33 PM »
Dam, I've been riding 2 strokes of various platforms for the past 38 years and it's amazing how you still after so much experience get smacked with a unique issue. Went riding with my daughter yesterday this was just a simple NH state OHRV trail that's just an abandoned rail bed. Fairly straight and about 17 miles long. I fueled up the K5 along with our ATV with only raw gas so I needed to add oil to the K5. I added exactly 2.5 gallons so I added 8 oz of oil right into the tank. In hindsight, what I forgot to do is shake the bike to mix the new oil and gas and that proved to be a big mistake. Upon initially driving down the trail the low speed drivability was horrible, wouldn't idle, real bad surging, and erratic engine rpm's. The engine was loading up, smoking excessively but would clean out upon a hard WOT blast. I initially though I had developed water in the fuel. After about 15 min I started to see some improvement after about a half hour the engine was now running perfect. Pretty sure when I dumped in the oil, it flowed right into the petcock and was blocking fuel flow. I run Klotz R50 and it's a pretty thick oil. I generally always have pre-mix all ready to go but I had no extra fuel jug so I figured when the heck just add oil later. So from now on either pre-mix or add oil very lightly into the fuel and SHAKE !  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:50:55 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
Re: A new lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 04:28:09 AM »
I'm glad it worked out.  While I was reading that, I was terrified that you were going to say that you locked your motor up. 
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 04:46:03 AM »
Eh, it's honest mistake Rich.
Me on the other hand, when I was 14, ridin an '83 CR125...I wanted to go ridin so bad one day, but had no oil...so I said F it, and dumped straight gas in it, knowing it was a bad thing to do. It lasted all about 4-5 mins until it locked up rippin wide open in 5th.
Needless to say, I've never wanted to go ridin "that" bad again!  :|
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 06:13:20 AM »
Me on the other hand, when I was 14, ridin an '83 CR125...I wanted to go ridin so bad one day, but had no oil...so I said F it, and dumped straight gas in it, knowing it was a bad thing to do. It lasted all about 4-5 mins until it locked up rippin wide open in 5th.

Man i can SO relate to your story, circa 1981 on my '77 RM100 i had NO money and i stole a  gas from my dads lawnmower reserve, and stole 10w30 oil from my dads oil can to ride on a saturday ! You know the saying ...."any oil is better than no oil !" 👍
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »

Man i can SO relate to your story, circa 1981 on my '77 RM100 i had NO money and i stole a  gas from my dads lawnmower reserve, and stole 10w30 oil from my dads oil can to ride on a saturday ! You know the saying ...."any oil is better than no oil !" 👍

Haha!, yup I know that old saying very well...haven't heard it in a while!
The s**t we used to do as kids when we desperately wanted to ride..."eh, it'll be fine, what could possibly go wrong??"  :lol:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ