Author Topic: Rear wheel HP....how much??  (Read 9578 times)

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Rear wheel HP....how much??
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »
Never dyno'd my KX 500 , wouldn't mind doing it though.  If it is done at the rear wheel, do you have to take off the knobby and install a street tire to have smooth contact with the roller?  My bike makes much more power on cool damp days than on hot dry days. Is humidity and temperature compensated for?
 How is the engine dyno'd at the crank? is there an adapter that bolts to the flywheel?  What does it cost to have the dyno hooked up and charts printed?
  When my CR250 seemed slow I wanted to buy a CR500 but found out they stopped making them back in 2001.  So after a small amount of research , I found out that I could buy a Brand new KX500 ( last fall ). I am so impressed with this bike, it handles great and has enough power to satisfy my need for speed.  I  am convinced that whatever color 500cc dirt bike you happen to own it has to feel fast.
  Good luck with your ice racing, keep us posted on your results. I would be interesting to measure the first second and third place ice race motors on the same dyno to see if the power results are the same as finishing position.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 09:39:33 AM »
You could ask the guy that was riding behind my 500 today how much rear wheel HP mine was making. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 01:29:25 PM »
I hope his name was Dyno.  Does he have any teeth left now? These things DO roost a big stone spray!
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 02:33:42 PM »
I still reckon that "torque" is the biggie here. Horsepower is nothing without Torque. Necksnapping, wristwrenching, fingerstretching, TORQUE!
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 01:19:49 AM »
My riding bud hates riding behind me. When we ride we race each other. He might be alittle faster than me in the woods but I can hold him off with roost in the rocky areas.  :lol:  :lol: He's riding a yz250 which is very fast in the woods. He never complained about looseing any teeth :cry:  :cry:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 08:18:22 AM »
Flattracker60,

You can look at Mun and mine gallery for tuned KX500 dynoed in different dynos,but still very close to "truth". :wink:
I think a well built kx500 reach about 55-58 rwhp stock.
You can pickup 5hp "very easy" with aftermarket parts and a dremel,after that?s much more job. :twisted:
It`s vary much if the dynos is calibrated different ,up to 10%. :?

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Flattracker60

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 09:41:16 AM »
Very hepful, thanks Doordie(and the other guys). My KX is stock other than the pipe and Boysen Rad valve. I can't help but think I will have some 'tinkering' done to it. I look forward to running it on the ice. The  A.M.A. Amature National Ice Races are being held in my back yard(Wisconsin). I hope to have the bike figured out soon. I know it rips.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 04:45:59 AM »
Flattracker60,

What regulations do you have overthere?
Here it?s 300 enduro frontstuds(2,3mm diameter) and 350 enduro backstuds(2,5mm diameter).

Flattracker60

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 06:52:16 AM »
Other than the type of stud(Kold Kutter ice racing screws), there are no regulations. My tire builder uses around 1100 screws in the rear(Kenda ice racing tire) and 800 in the front(Dunlop K495 I think). I use a 'lefty only' stud pattern. I have a pic of a tire I can email to someone if someone wants to post it for me.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re:Rear wheel HP....how much??
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2005, 02:46:46 PM »
Quote from: Flattracker60
Other than the type of stud(Kold Kutter ice racing screws), there are no regulations. My tire builder uses around 1100 screws in the rear(Kenda ice racing tire) and 800 in the front(Dunlop K495 I think). I use a 'lefty only' stud pattern. I have a pic of a tire I can email to someone if someone wants to post it for me.

I can post your pictures if you would like, check your private message.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 11:06:55 AM »
Quote from: Flattracker60

Flattracker, here are your pictures. I had to run a resize program on them. Email your tire pictures and I will post for you.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2005, 10:02:12 AM »
Here is the tires with studs "overhere"! :twisted:

//doordie